The tank is up and running

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AH-99p

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This weekend I managed to get the tank up and running...

The tank is a tropiquarium 88 (35 US Gallon) I ripped out the biolife filter and replaced with a Eheim Professional 2 External Filter and an aquaclear powerhead. I kept the 200W Hagen Tronic Heater.

I have a bed of coral sand & 12Kg of liverock.

The aquarium has been running for 2 days now, and I have seen more and more life when i come and look at it... shrimp, worms, snails :)

How long should i leave the setup before i start to test the water conditions etc?

Was the 33 lbs (12 kg) of lr cured from a lfs or shipped? If cured from the lfs then you might to do the fishless cycle using a small cocktail shrimp. If shipped then you probably will have enough die-off from the lr to cycle the tank. I’d test now and about every 3-5 days to see where your levels are. You basically want to see a spike in nh3/no2 and level off to 0 and then keep doing pwc until your no3 drops to <=10 ppm before adding any fish.

melosu58 said:
Your tank has to cycle first. Look for article on fishless cycle

I completely understand this - i've been a tropical addict for years... just just seeing when i should start testing the water... and to see if anyone had any comments about my setup :p

I've no intentions of adding fish for a while yet tbh.

it may be best to ask... is there anything missing from my current setup - i know i don't have a skimmer, but the LFS said to wait 6 months before putting a skimmer on the tank.

I would be testing now and often throughout the cycle, it is the only way to know for sure that it has been through the entire process. I do not use a skimmer during the cycling stage, but there is no reason to not put one on as soon as you start adding livestock.

Back
Top Bottom