Theorycraft: Tupperware sumps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smaug21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a lot of free time these days, and I just read a few topics down someone mention sumps made from Tupperware or the like. I really love to think about stuff like this (in World of Warcraft terms they refer to it as "Theorycraft") without actually having any plans to do them.

Anyway, how practical is a Tupperware sump? I don't have any plans anymore for a salt water tank, but I love looking at DIY things online and I’ve never seen one using Tupperware in aquarium things. I've seen a few used in Turtle and Amphibious stuff before, but not aquarium things. They seem to have worked for some Turtle people for a very long time.

It seems to me, that the goal of the sump is extra area removed from the tank to filter/store things to make your tank look better and be healthier. I would think that a Tupperware would make a very good cheap sump, especially for people who presently don't have a sump.

Just thinking about it I can see maybe a few possible problems.

-Reaction- It's hard to tell what a Tupperware is really made of; do you think that it would leach rubber or plastic chemicals into the tank?

-Strength- If you were to get a large sump, like say one of those giant Christmas tree Tupperware, would it be able to safely contain all that water?

-Durability- I doubt that things like a mantis shrimp would be able to "crack" a Tupperware, but I think a few of the other critters that some people like in a refuge might be able to damage plastic, where they might not have done much to an acrylic or glass tank. So is this a Sump-only idea with no refuge?

So what do you guys think? Anybody ever ran across a DIY article about it? If so I’d love to look at it.

I have heard the tub can become brittle, due to the SW.

Tupperware’s largest containers that I recall are around 6L or 1.5 gal so I have no clue how you would use one for a sump. And they aren’t exactly cheap.

Most plastic containers aren’t worth using due to expansion and the brittle factor as roka mentioned.

The majority who DIY for sumps use simple glass tanks with baffles. If your stand won’t hold one of the standard tank sizes then you could also use acrylic tanks or even custom build an acrylic tank.

I tried this in the past and found the plastic to get brittle, and by the time i was said and done, I would have been better off financially using an old tank or by going acrylic. I tried a lot of things that did not work. It was a waste, but a learning experience for me.

tecwzrd said:
Tupperware’s largest containers that I recall are around 6L or 1.5 gal so I have no clue how you would use one for a sump. And they aren’t exactly cheap.

Didn't think about the brittle factor, but I think with this quote as well we may not be on the same page as to what type of "Tupperware" I was thinking about. The small Rubbermaid stuff is a fairly soft plastic that I can see getting brittle... but the one's I thought of immediately are much much larger and much less soft to begin with. As I mentioned in my post those giant, nearly bath-tub size Christmas tree tubs were what I was thinking about. The ones of those I’ve run across are more of a hard plastic that doesn’t bend, and less like the soft Rubbermaid types.

And as far as cost...Acrylic and glass fish tanks cost expands when they get bigger. So a small 10g is probably 10-15$, a 20g is probably 40 or 50, with a 55g tank, even from Wal-Mart costing 100+.

In contrast, after Halloween last year, I got a set of 4 15g Sterilite "totes" for 2$ each...

Rubber maid sells a 54g tote, so they do get quite large as well.

I still don't know if it's an idea worth looking into, but those two ideas aren't really a problem.

How would you divide it up? Are you planning making compartments for a fuge?

you may want to see if these containers will hold the weight of the water. Mine always bowed when I filled them full.. This caused problems..... Just a thought.

Tupperware is a brand name like Rubbermaid is so I assumed when you said Tupperware you meant that brand.

Most Rubbermaid, Sterilite, ect… products are designed to hold dry goods and expand too greatly when filled with water. This creates a baffle nightmare trying to reduce bubbles and is pointless in the long run IMO.

There are larger/stronger plastic tubs on the market that can be used as sumps but they don’t fit under stands and usually have to be used in a separate room.

Lastly the cost of these larger/stronger plastic tubs is only slightly cheaper then using a regular glass or acrylic tank.

I agree with tcwzrd.... HOWEVER, if you find something that works, I would be really interested in knowing what you have found out. If you could figure out how to pull this off, then it would be a great DIY. Best of luck...
Doug

Man..i wish i had the Income to try a tank with this out, because i feel pretty confident that it would work with the right stuff.

But i don't...so i guess it will just stay a theory for now...

What about a cooler or something like that?

There we go, Nice idea with the cooler.... Think outside the box.... A coolder may work, you could pump the water up from the bottom to if ihas a place for water to drain.... I always thought about finding something that farmers use to water cattle in or something.... Something big enough to hold a good amount of water but not too big to fit under the tank....

No matter how hard i tried, my water volume was never big enough for me.... Kinda like tank size... I always want more....

Back
Top Bottom