thick brown gunk growing on substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brochr05

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I have a 20 gallon planted aquarium. Until this morning, it was stocked with 10 silvertip tetras, 2 african dwarf frogs and 1 small/medium sized angelfish. I woke up this morning to find that 8 of my 10 silvertip tetras were dead, the other 3 not looking well. The angelfish seems fine, but I am worried. The frogs are probably struggling, but it is hard to tell. I perform regular water changes and regularly vacuum my gravel. I did a significant (50-75%) water change last night, and tried to clean the gravel as best I could, but when I did the water continued to get cloudy. I should mention that I was adding some new plants that I had purchased online. I quarantined these plants for a day and a half before adding them. When the water became too cloudy (brown tone) I added Acu-Clear to clear up the water, and am now realizing that was a mistake as it only caused the cloudy brown debris to sink and cover the substrate in a slimy-ish brown gunk. I tested the water last night using the API master test kit and my results were: (high range) PH 8.0, Nitrite: 0, Nitrate: 0, Ammonia: 0, Temp: 75ºF. I have been using Seachem products and added some last night as well: Replenish, Flourish, Flourish Excel, Potassium. I added the Flourish Excel (activated carbon), Replenish, and some aquarium salt last night after performing the water changes. I have a sponge filter and an HOB filter, but have turned that off as it was making strange noises and I thought it may be bothering the fish.

I have no idea what could be wrong at this point, and do not want to lose my Angel. I am wondering if I should put the angel in my 5.6g quarantine tank while I deal with this issue (not sure how to deal with it). Can anyone tell me if this is a good idea? Thoughts on what may be going on // Suggestions on how to amend the issue? Anything is greatly appreciated!

Turning off your filter probably sent your tank into a mini cycle. (let me know if you don't know what this means) you should test the water again now. What kind of test kits do you have?

The clarifying type products only clump together particles so they are large enough to be removed via mechanical filtration. So turning off your filtration not only probably sent you into a mini cycle but removed the mechanical filtration of whatever that was.

What kind of substrate, how deep? sounds like when you disturbed the gravel you just released all the gunk that was in there and then turned off the filter that might have helped remove it.

Back
Top Bottom