Thinking of Building a Pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
I live an area that can have ponds year round as far as temperature goes.

Since I am adverse to being dirtbag filthy from digging, I was thinking about putting the pond above ground. I was going to stack some bricks and create a border for the lining. Then I would place a top layer of nicer looking bricks down to hold the liner down. I was going to line the bottom of the pond with pond rocks. I know I want to circulate the water by pumping it up to a higher level on one end and creating a slide for the water to return to the pond like a waterfall. I'm thinking this will be oddly shaped, but probably an 8' x 10' area of space approximately when laid out. Other than this, I know nothing about what I want to do or what a pond requires.

1. What kinds of fish can I put into a pond? I know Koi are the most common, but could fancy goldfish be an option?
2. Does the pump require a filter? I know plants partially filter waste, which brings me to my next question.
3. Do I need plants?
4. Do I have to put soil down or will the rocks suffice?
5. What would you recommend to keep other animals out? We have raccoons, possums, and hawks, although I'm not worried about hawks so much. I was thinking of chicken wire with a foot of clearance to the water level.

Please let me know what else I am missing. I am new to this, and excited. That can be a bad combination. =)

Hello,

I am not an expert but I do have an outdoor pond in illinois, and an indoor aquarium. Lucky you my pond is in "teepee" mode as the temperature around here is around 40 degrees right now. My pond has both Koi and comet goldfish.

1. Yes you can put fancy goldfish in an outdoor pond just keep in mind what size they will get at adult age.

2. Yes, I would recommend an external bio-filter. This would be a mechanical/biological type filter. It would house sponges which would trap waste mechanically and bio-balls or other media to allow beneficial bacteria to form on.

3. I would recommend plants. Not only do they help break down ammonia (from fish waste)waste but they also enhance a ponds appearance.

4. No soil is necessary. You could "pot" plants or somes roots can be tucked in to rocks, just keep in mind that roots can be hard to untangle from rocks in the basin. Also if some plants are invasive and grow rather large, potting them could keep them in check.

5. They sell pond netting, or any type of covering would work.

there are also alot of other things that you have to take into account. I would recommend visiting a website devoted to ponds only, I go to:
http://www.aquascapedesigns.com/messageboard/index.php
This site deals strictly with ponds and the people there are great. Feel free to ask questions you will hear and learn a large amount of information from a great bunch of people.

Good luck and happy ponding,

Reddog80p

Thanks for your help. I will check out that forum.

Given the fact that I am planning to return the water via a waterfall on one end, should my filter be sucking out the water from the opposite end? Do you recommend any level to drop the water from on the waterfall?

Yeah that would circulate the water best. The drop depends on personal preference. I would check out that pond site, look at others ponds and get an idea of what you want, you have lots of options.

I realized I am not ready for the pond. To do it right, building it above ground is not a good idea, especially if even minimal sliding occurs from rain. It all adds up. I think I'll go with a large 3' x 3' diameter plastic container outside first with some feeder fish. Is there any kind of plant I can put in here that won't grow and consume the fish, but would do a good job oxygenating the tank and cleaning up waste?

you could put in grasses such as ancachris, or other type of oxygenators. THey will help oxygenate but won't help to much cleaning waste, but helps break it up once it's been disolved. you could also put in floating plants such as water lettuce or water hyacinths. Check your local laws some of these plants are invasive species and are not allowed in certain states. Go to the site listed above in one of my prior posts, in there they have sub-forums dedicated strickly to plants. post questions there are alot of people who could give you ideas for your pond.

HTH,

Reddog80p.

Back
Top Bottom