Thinking of Quitting the Aquarium Hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishperson

Aquarium Advice Addict
I haven't been on AA in a while, so this is just a recap of what has happened to my tank:

It is a 10 gallon, with a finnex fugeray 20" and a fluval 105 filter on it. The light is on for 8 hours a day and I dose PPS Pro daily. I have eco complete substrate with flourish root tabs under most plants. I'm running pressurized co2 at around 1-2 bps. The indicator is greenish. It's been set up for a while, I think around 2-3 months. There was never anything in there as far as fauna goes except for an otocinclus for a month or two and then 8 RCS for the past few weeks.

This is my problem. I'm moving in a couple of months and that would be an easy opportunity to exit the aquarium hobby. I don't really have many other hobbies so I would like to keep this one, but my plants just won't grow well at all. Here are all the plants I've had:
- Ludwigia Repens: It grows okay but none of the leaves are even remotely red, and pretty much the entire bottom 4 inches is leaveless.
- Cryptocoryne Parva: This plant is surprisingly doing well. It is super slow but all three are still alive and even one sent off a runner. No problems yet.
- Water Wisteria: Something weird happened to this one. It went from that strange oak-leaf looking leaf, to a normal, oval leaf. That's what all the new growth has been anyway. They old leaves are beginning to die off. All in all I still can't complain, but it still is weird.
- Cryptocoryne Wendtii "Mi Oya": Really not growing but not really dying. Minimal melting at first. Quite strange.
- Java moss: Its only been in for a few weeks but its grown just a bit. Overall not too bad.
- What looks like Limnophila Indica or some other Limnophila, or maybe Ambulia: It's been doing quite well, but only been in for a few weeks. No problems yet.
- Staurogyne Repens: This one has done really well. It's just grown straight up, fairly quickly, with minimal algae and no melting or tearing.

And those were the successes. :(

- Hygrophila sp. Bold: Didn't grow at all, just rotted away until I took it out.
- Cabomba: Didn't grow much until it eventually grew a bit, towards the top of the tank. It lost all but the top two inches of its leaves though.
- Hygrophila Corymbosa: Melted off immediately (probably grown emmersed), and still hasn't grown back at all.
- Hydrocotyle sp. Japan: Literally no growth after 3 weeks, just some leaves turning brown or melting.

I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. :banghead:

Any advice would be appreciated. If I could run a well maintained tank without excessive algae (which I kind of have), with plants that don't die immediately, god forbid actually grow, I would continually and forever keep fish and plants. But I can't. So I probably won't.

This is really my last attempt at a planted tank at least. I may try shell dwellers in the 10 gallon if this fails, but this is pretty much my last attempt. I've pulled out all the stops and spent well over $300 on this tank, and its just a pile of...

So any advice would be amazing, any obvious things that I'm doing wrong would probably be helpful to know about.

Thanks!

Have you ever tested the water to see the nitrate/phosphate levels? I had to adjust the PPS pro to fix the imbalances

Ok I might try that. I know my nitrates are high right now so I need to do a large water change soon.

Back
Top Bottom