this is def a melanocromis arautus right ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmbtengnr43

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just double checking I'm confident that that's what this fish is and also a male but I know there are white tail variations and mine appears to have a white tail and if it is this type of variation will he still spawn with a female melanocromis arautus ?

ForumRunner_20130706_191931.jpg

ForumRunner_20130706_191942.jpg

Ok so looked it up I was mid sold its a melanocromis johanni but was sold to me as arautus will he cross breed with female arautus?

They CAN crossbreed but they usually stick with similar body types. I've never had two different body types cross breed.

I only just got him 2 weeks ago and hes been that color since I just noticed whitish tail and dorsal fins and that he's more blue then most arautus I've seen so I wanted to double check

It's definitely not an auratus. It's either a male Johanni or maingano (this is commonly and stupidly called the electric blue johanni making more confusion) male or female. I am not schooled enough to tell the difference. I believe male Johanni start yellow like the female and turn blue black. They look the same to me but are different fish. Both used to be melanochromis but are now placed in the pseudotropheus group.

Back
Top Bottom