This is intersting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ferret_Friend

Aquarium Advice Activist
To make a long story as brief as possible, I'm moving soon. This means that my tank needs to make the move. Thankfully, I only have a clownfish who has been doing very well, so I'm confident he'll make the move. Even so, the stand that my tank is set up on is the one I want the tank on when I move, but I want the tank to be ready beforehand. So, I got rid of my last couple of freshies in the other tank, cleaned it all out, started again with salt, then after a couple of weeks, I transferred the fish. Naturally, the live rock made the transfer immediately, because I figured it might help.

My primary sw tank has a 50/50 bulb in the lighting, but my fresh (now salt) tank actually has a bulb I picked up at the hardware store for plants and planted aquariums. I've noticed a very significant difference with the newer tank.

The live rock has some growth. I see a couple little things that actually look like tiny little plants. The one thing I'm curious though is on the underside of one of the rocks in a shady part, I'm seeing a growth that I never saw in the other tank. They are about 1 inch long, pale, and look like the arms (?) of an anemone. Is this some kind of coral that wasn't in the prime environment with the other light, but now is a very good environment with this light? I've never had any kind of coral before, so I'm not sure what this is.

It's really neat either way the difference in growth that I see going from the 50/50 to the plant bulb. Nothing else in the tanks are different. They're both 29 gallons, they both are using the same exact live rock, and all else is the same. Just the lighting is different.

Since I'm still very new to SW, could anyone give me an idea of what this is? I kinda like seeing any kind of growth in my tank being that I'm so new to this and all.

TIA!

Without a photo, it's hard to say but there are many types so sponges that live and thrive on the underside of our liverock. Things you never see to appreciate til you move the rocks around. :)

I can understand how hard it would be without a picture. Even so... why would going from a tank with a 50/50 bulb to some generic plant bulb from the hardware store cause such interesting growth on my life rock?

These sponges do not require lighting to grow and maybe the lower light has encouraged them to spread. Hard to say. Increased growth could also be attributed to extra nutrients in the tank and age of the tank/sponges. Either way, unless they become a nuisance I wouldn't worry much about them. Good luck. :)

Back
Top Bottom