this plant a gonner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joel618

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had it for about a week now. It is supposed to be an anubias. I don't think it liked the bleach dip too much. I also think my mbuna have been munching on it. What you think? Is it gonna die? I put them in to try to fix a nitrate problem, not create more of one.

Mbunas and plants aren't going to mix very well. Also, Anubias are not going to help solve a Nitrate problem. They uptake N so slowly that it would make little difference.

If there are dead leaves, or leaves that are mostly dead, trim them off at the base of the plant. Leaving the dead or dying stuff on the plant will mean the plant is wasting energy and nutrients repairing and rebuilding a lost cause. Best to have that energy go to healthy leaves and new growth.

If you want a plant to help suck up nutrients get a floating plant like amazon frogbit or duckweed

Sorry guys, for some reason the pic didn't attach.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111221_204641.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111221_204641.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 101
It's not looking to good... I would trim off all but 1 of those leaves... save the leaf that is the healthiest. If the rhizome is above the substrate and still looks healthy it may come back.

fort384 said:
Mbunas and plants aren't going to mix very well. Also, Anubias are not going to help solve a Nitrate problem. They uptake N so slowly that it would make little difference.

If there are dead leaves, or leaves that are mostly dead, trim them off at the base of the plant. Leaving the dead or dying stuff on the plant will mean the plant is wasting energy and nutrients repairing and rebuilding a lost cause. Best to have that energy go to healthy leaves and new growth.

Thanx for the advice. I looked at cichlid plants 102 on cichlid forum and am trying to stick to those plants. The java fern seem to be doing ok I guess. I will do some trimming as soon as get home. Should I use scissors? Im going to try my hand with some vals and maybe some java moss. The only thing I worry about with java moss, frogbit, and duckweed is the plant taking over.

Duckweed yes... java moss and frogbit are easy to control. They don't grow nearly as fast. The slower they grow though, the less N they will uptake. Best to control your nitrates by plain ol' PWCs. :)

joel618 said:
I've had it for about a week now. It is supposed to be an anubias. I don't think it liked the bleach dip too much. I also think my mbuna have been munching on it. What you think? Is it gonna die? I put them in to try to fix a nitrate problem, not create more of one.

I don't think that's an anubias is it? It kind of looks like a melon sword.

Atxpunx said:
I don't think that's an anubias is it? It kind of looks like a melon sword.

That's why I gave it the bleach dip, the only lfs around here is super sketchy. I know little about plants, it was sold to me as an anubias. That would explain why my mbuna are eating it. They aren't supposed to like anubias. There's $9 down the drain and another reason im boycotting lfs. When you been in business for 20+ years you wouldn't think it would be hard to give at least somewhat accurate info.

Back
Top Bottom