Thought I Shuld join and say hello :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wavedancer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello ,
I'm new here , and I feeling like I am new to fish keeping I'm not though ,

So let me tell y'all a story lol

Once upon a time , when I lived in England , (feels like another life ago)
I was very hooked on fish , you know how it starts ? A 2 foot tank from the local boot sale , couple of books and a year or so later there are more fish tanks than furniture in your home lol wellllll I'm NOT doing that again . Promise ! Lol

Anyway over about 10 years or so I kept all sorts .
My cichlids wear faves my convict tank <3 my jack Dempseys and there love children , not forgetting my Oscar tank , oh and my angels ,

Then there was my community planted tank , through it all that was my fave , guppies, plecs , beta , sword , rams , cherry barb , kooli loch ? nothing to amazing but mesmerizing to me ,
And my plants wear beautiful , It was as much as garden as a fish tank .
And although some of the fish sound nippy and not so well matched they didn't have issues , they had space , plants , good water , good bacteria and they wear a good bunch .

You know that one horrid event that happens and puts you off something you love? Well
A lot of my fish and plants I lost in one go! Yep ! All at once .

I went on holiday something i hadn't done before (i didnt used to travel lol) and the LFS did holiday tanks , I thought all would be ok , I trusted them.

,when I came back they had sold most of my community ! And all of my bog wood bits that had 4 or 5 year old anubias plants I had tied on and grown , everything :(

Sooo after that it just wasn't the same , I sold a lot of bits and gave tanks and stuff away ,

Got married , Eventually we moved to Italy , then to Germany , oh in germany i spent a lot of time stalking the LFS lol i was tempted but i knew we would have to move again , and now we are in Kansas USA , this is our last big move for the foreseeable , we bought a house and sooooo

The other weekend I bought my self a little gift !!!

I got a 60g tank , eeeeeekkkkkk!

A bio wheel I may get board and change this but i have always wanted to try one i really don't remember seeing them in uk,

Heater

Api liquid Test kit

A bunch of treatments , aqua safe , leaf zone that type of thing

Sand this time I got pool filter sand after reading about it ,in the past I used play sand I loved how it looked and my plants always seemed to thrive , don't remember ever having pool sand as an option before , is that cos I was in England ? Or is it a relatively new idea ,

A huge beautifully shaped bit of bog wood

Some plants , banana <--- impressed I could never find them in England , swords , java moss ,

It's already looking good ,

Fishless (no fish) Cycling for 8days so very early stages , ammonia starting to spike still no nitrate or nitrite readings but that's to be expected really, think I would be a touch concerned if there wear :)
I keep reading about people adding ammonia , I never did this before and I won't this time , just fish food ,heat not to much , bubbles , plants and TIME never failed before

For now I will spend the next few weeks thinking about the fish I may have .... Even though I already know roughly , I'm going to have a planted community just like my old one that I've missed so much lol

Ill also spend my time reading here refreshing my memory , its crazy how much I have forgotten that I know lol I have been reading posts and thinking well they just need blah blah blah .... So its all in there somewhere .

Looking forward to talking to you all <3

:wave: Hello there! Welcome to AA. I think it's amazing that you got to live in some different places. I bet it was a nice experience! It makes me wonder what kind of work you or your spouse does to move around so much (don't mind me, I'm nosey). :whistle:
A planted community tank will be nice! I've had a Bio-wheel once about 10 years ago. I really liked it for a HOB. Pool filter sand is a nice option. I don't remember it being an option 10 years ago- I always ended up using play sand. Pool filter sand is a lot better though!

Back
Top Bottom