Thoughts on blackworms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBinimbul

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm currently feeding my community tank with frozen bloodworms, tropical fish flakes, betta pellets and sinking wafers. During cycling, I had an outbreak of detritus worms that disappeared when the endler's hit the scene. I'm certain they ate them all.

I'm looking into adding low-maintenance live foods into my feeding for a couple of reasons.

1. My community tank has never had live food other than the detritus worms.
2. I'm working on setting up a betta tank and know they thrive on live foods.

That said, daphne and brine shrimp seem inappropriate in my situation. I don't have extra tanks and filtration just for this purpose and every tank I have needs a pretty secure lid with my 2 cats. I don't need to come home to a knocked over bottle and carpet full of brine shrimp. They also seem to take more maintenance and trouble than I'm willing to invest for fish food.

Which brings me to blackworms.

I wanted to get some of you guys' experiences and feedback on using them. I know to keep excess in the fridge and I wouldn't throw in a ridiculous amount, but I'm unsure if they would be appropriate for my tanks.

For some background; my community tank is black diamond blasting sand with dragonstone. Light to moderately planted with all rhizome plants except for bacopa. Stocked with corydoras, endler's, shrimp and nerites.

My betta tank is soil capped with pea gravel, will be moderately to heavily planted with all root plants.

Does anyone feed blackworms to these species? Are they a favored food? Where do you get them? I've only seen a couple of places online that are well over 50 dollars once accounting for shipping. Seems untenable when they go bad in a week.

I've only used freeze-dried blackworms so I can't speak for the live ones, but as far as live cultures go, microworms are pretty easy to keep and very prolific. Have you looked into them?

Are microworms good for adult betta? Or my community tank? Or, rather, would my fish pay attention to and actually eat something that small? I've only heard of them used for fry.

Live is always better but anything that will accept freeze dried bw will be better off.

Back
Top Bottom