thoughts on stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlazedSaint

Aquarium Advice Freak
so i have a 29 gallon biocube with some plants

currently i have 6 platys, but im thinking i might add some fish this sunday, im thinking i want 6 platys(currently have) 6 cherry barbs and 2 dwarf gourami

anyone thinking ill add 3 cherry barbs sunday and 3 cherry barbs the next sunday as i know adding 6 cherry barbs at once is a bad idea

but does anything have thoughts of experience on if this is a good or bad mix, it keeps me withing my stocking size limits, (14 2 inch fish- 28 inchs) i have 29 gallon tank, but im concerned about cherry barbs and gourami together, and i know gourami perfer the top of the tank and platys seem to be low-mid, cherry barbs are low-mid too is that too much low-mid?

+1 I would stick with only one

6 platys is pushing it, as they have a pretty high bio load but since you already have them I guess it's ok
Cherry barbs will be fine, IMO a ram and some kuhli loaches would look nice

I would get the 6 barbs and nothing else. And yeah, 2 dgs would fight. But other than that, it sounds good!

So 1 dwarf gourami with the 6 cherry barbs is to much, also can't decide between the 5-6 Cherry barbs or 3 swordtails

A word of warning... The platies will hybridize with the swordtails. Not sure what your plan is for the inevitable fry, but most people don't want to take platy/sword mixes, they want pure sword or pure platy.

I think the plan sounds good. I wouldn't go with swordtails myself, that would add much more bioload than the barbs would.
Plus swords can grow to 5", I have 5 of them in my 29 and can't keep much else because at that size they eat and poop a lot!!

If it were my tank I'd do your 6 platys, 6 barbs. And then maybe some loaches or a pair of rams for the bottom and call it quits.

What kind of loach would u recommend? And might do guppies for the kids instead of barbs unless guppies are a bad idea otherwise the barbs might be the best idea I want the DG but if I can get a cool loach I'd do that do

If you go with 3 varieties of livebearers (guppy/platy/sword) in one tank, be prepared for a LOT of fry. Livebearers are the tribbles of the fish world ;) They will quickly overpopulate the tank if you don't regularly rehome/remove the babies. Many will be hybrids too, as I mentioned before.

Hrm good call I didn't think of that I knew that about live bearers just slipped my mind, so platys cherry barbs and 1 DG it is

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom