Tiger Barb harassing Rainbow fish...advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShellyPonch

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 3 turquoise rainbow fish in my tank but only one is being bullied by the solo tiger barb I have. This barb has killed two other fish recently. He chases the rainbows fish and has chewed his tail. I'm not sure if I need more tiger barbs or what I should do. I'm a complete newbie to the aquarium world so absolutely any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tiger barbs really need to be in groups to reduce aggression, what size tank? Edit-if your profile info is up to date than if consider rehoming the little fella..

We bought the tigers on a whim and without research. The aquarium store told us they'd be fine with our other fish. The tank is 36 gallon. This barb killed all the other barbs we had. The pet store told me to flush him but I'm not doing that. How many barbs do I need? I heard there was another species of barb that was peaceful and similar in appearance.

I prefer these.. I have 6, they're very mellow.. image-3015118403.jpghexazona barbs or 5 banded barbs.. Your tiger will continue harassing your fish .. He needs 6-7 friends to calm down

I'm worried that if I get more barbs, he'll kill them. Thats how I lost my entire stock of barbs haha. Will he be OK with another kind of barb, like the ones you suggested? Yes, my tank info is current. Its a 36 gallon bow front and I have 1 rubber lipped pleco, 4 cardinal tetra, 1 velvet swordtail, 2 wagtail platys, 4 sunburst platys, 3 rainbow fish, 2 zebra danio and the solo remaing barb. So I really need 6-7 more barbs? Oy its going to be crowded in there!

Just out of curiosity, if I provide ghost shrimp as an alternate prey, will he back off the rainbow? You are very helpful btw and I appreciate all your feedback.

I am not recommending them as supplementation for his fallen friends.. More as a replacement , I can pretty much guarantee He'd kill them all.. All I can say at this point.. Sometimes you have to let one go in the best interest of the bunch.. I just gave my second fish away (bn Pleco) because it was a poopy little monster...all my fish winked at me at the same time;)

Thanks you have been very helpful. I really like the look of barbs and will more than likely replace him with nicer fish.

Some fish are just a little crazy. My fancy guppy has gone on a murder spree, killing over ten guppies at least (always at night). But when he's all alone he gets scared as he is a schooling fish.

Back
Top Bottom