Tiger Barb's and Oto's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dave_2105

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 7 tiger barb's ( 4 normal 3 green ) and I'm looking at getting a couple of Oto's to keep on top of the algae. I've been reading up and some people say they can't be kept together and others say they can. My tigers usually keep to themselves even leaving 2 female guppies in my tank alone ( which most ppl said they wouldn't ). I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them???

In my experience, Tiger Barbs if allowed to school in groups 6-8 at least tend to leave most other fish alone.

Question though, are your greens schooling with the others?

I have 4 regular in a 36 GL with 7 black skirt and 4 neon tetras. I also have some albino and green in a 46 and I have one nipper move him to the 36 since the greens are bigger. I would have to say it's just really up to the fish personality.

My tiger barbs had nipped and stressed every fish I had in my 29 gal tank which were 2 kissing gourami's(one of them they nipped large chunks out of and stressed them to the point they both died). They did the same to my 3 cory cats too. The only fish I have that survived there attacks is my long fin rosy barb who's fins were all nipped completely off.

Cheers for the replies. At first the greens kept to themselves but just recently I've noticed they are all schooling together. They don't bother anything else in the tank including my cory's and amano shrimp. I think it's defiantly down to each fishes personality but they are still small so not sure if they get more aggressive with age. I'm wanting oto's because my tanks sort of inset into a wall so I can only clean the front glass and am hoping some oto's will keep the other sides clean. Sorry to hear about your experience foxrob. Hope I don't have trouble with them like you.

I had my original 6 for a year with no problems, I lost 4 of them when my tank heater broke. The 4 I got to replace them were the nipers bit the 2 older ones started to nip at my pleco.

Cheers for the replies. I'm wanting oto's because my tanks sort of inset into a wall so I can only clean the front glass and am hoping some oto's will keep the other sides clean. .

I'm in a similar situation, my tank is in a wall inset ... but in my case it's brown algae that's the issue. I have it all over the fake slate, log, and root ... but funny enough, I like the color they give those ornaments. Not so much on the glass ... thankfully.

I was thinking of getting an otto anyway to help clean up the BA, but it's the Red-tail Shark I'm more worried about than the Barbs. Unfortunately, the RTS is my son's fish so I may have to deal with the BA (on the glass) the old fashion way and scrub it off:D

I have the same problem with brown algae! Its covering some fake stone caves I hav but i do also like the look :) makes them look more real. The only problem is having it on the glass. I have a algae scraper which is basically a stick with a blade at the end that removes it quite well. I'm just hoping an oto will do it for me and save me some time :) do you know if it's ok to have one oto on it's own or do they hav to be in pairs? I'll just have to keep an eye on my barbs if I do get one. But to be honest my barb's aren't tipical aggressive tiger barb's, it makes me laugh wen my small peppered cory starts chasing them about! :) it's so funny to watch :)

Oto's do best in small schools. They are pretty shy, so if your tigers get aggressive with them, they may have to be moved.

Also, Oto's are often very fragile, make sure you acclimate them slowly to the tank.

I think I'll start with two and see how they get on. I'll have a word at my LFS and see if they'll take them back if there's any problems, there usually quite good like that.

I usually just acclimatise new fish in the bag then net them out but I think I'll try the drip method with them. I'm not sure exactly how to do it but I'll have a read up on it.

you can try with an airline tube. just tie a knot in the middle and then suck on the end. id advise against otos with tiger barbs though bc otos are so shy in the first plave. maybe a bristlenose pleco would be better.

Back
Top Bottom