Tiger Oscar not eating ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lvrmmdckie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was asked to care for a 1+ year old Oscar by my friend who can no longer care for him. She said he will eat anything, very happy fish. He's about 8" long. He was supposed to come in a 55 gal tank, but wound up coming with a 30 gal tank. He was transported in a white, covered bucket for less than 2 miles. He was very stressed, and floated on his side the whole time. I got him home, let him sit overnight while the water cycled and got to temperament. I used water conditioner and tested with strips, the temp is steady at 77/78°. I added a little tank water to his bucket, he was fine. I added his bucket water to the tank, then him. There is an in tank heater, medium gravel, a fake plant, and a large rock. He was immediately much happier. The filter turns 330 gal/ hour, rated for 30-60 gal tanks, and he will be transferred to a 50/55/60 gal tank soon. I bought cichlid pellets. The problem? He has not eaten since I got him Sunday. It is now Tuesday. I offered the balls he was previously eating, I offered the pellets, I offered beatles. I've tried giving him privacy, showing him the food, etc. He watches, but never eats. It's starting to dirty up the tank and I'm going to have to buy a vacuum. What is the problem?

Nice save! Now empty that tank down to bare bottom and essential parts and such. If you plan on keeping him you're going to want a 75 gallon minimum. Leave lights off and do a small water change daily until he starts eating again, with daily feeding you want to atleats vacuum out poo and replace water if not a 30% daily wc. They're very susceptible to hole in the head if water quality wains. Post back with any questions. Post a pic if you can. They can go a month without food, hes probably just fussed over the move.

Update

He finally ate two beetles. I guess he specifically wanted beetles and privacy. I thought Oscar's were not supposed to be picky? Should I still change the water?

He finally ate two beetles. I guess he specifically wanted beetles and privacy. I thought Oscar's were not supposed to be picky? Should I still change the water?

1)Clean/vacuum the tank until the water is *clear* as they ARE very susceptible to *hole in the head* disease and keep it crystal clear. Oscars are MESSY fish so there a filter that does 2x the tank gallons is very necessary, so in a 55g you will want 100 gph. And you WILL need a 75g tank or larger once he is full grown.

2) The tank is not cycled, please read about the nitrogen cycle and start a *fish in* cycle NOW

3) Oscars are the biggest prima donnas EVER. They HATE change and sulk just because you look at them wrong. As long as he was in good shape to begin with a few days of not eating won't even bother him. If you are going to feed ànything besides a store bought pellet remember anything contagious the *food* has the Oscar will get too so be careful.

4) Since they *rearrange* their tank as they please try to avoid anything that will break the glass if smashed into it - yes I DO speak from experience, I learned the hard way to keep any structures low and sturdy.

T
Oscars truly are the dogs of the fish world, great personality and an awesome pet, but they do require care

Back
Top Bottom