tilt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spy_90

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I'm looking for some opinions here 8O

I just setup my 29G tank and it seems to be slightly unlevel horizontally. Length wise it's level but horizontally it seems to be about 2-3mm off. I have tried measuring the defflection of the legs of the stand and they seem fine, but I don't know how to measure the effect on the tank? It's a perfecto if that is any help.

I think it should be ok, 2-3mm isn't that much? It's a bit scary though, anyone have experiance with this?

thanks!

2-3mm over how far?
what do you mean by deflection of the stand?
best off getting it as level as possible and using foam under it to help even minor discrepancies.

btw this plane( ------) is horizontal.
This plane ( | )is vertical, are you sure you have it the right way around?

2-3mm over the length of the tank (29G so 30"). So the water on the right side of the tank sits about 2-3mm lower then the left side.

Yes sorry I meant width wise it's level. Only horizontal is off D=

I almost wonder if I should leave it and see how it plays out, or maybe try adding some weight to the right side. I have some thick carpet I wonder if the left side carpet has just sunk easier (or maybe it's on a seam or something).

lol ur confusing yourself.
the top edge of the tank "width ways" is horizontal, the top edge of it "length ways" is horizontal to :)
Don't add weight just prop up the legs of the stand as needed to make the tank level.

before you do that, (I'll presume your using a proper level and tape measure) check to make sure the tank is square in all directions. It could just be an error from the manufacturer?

DeFeKt said:

lol ur confusing yourself.
the top edge of the tank "width ways" is horizontal, the top edge of it "length ways" is horizontal to :)
Don't add weight just prop up the legs of the stand as needed to make the tank level.

before you do that, (I'll presume your using a proper level and tape measure) check to make sure the tank is square in all directions. It could just be an error from the manufacturer?

ok ok I hope it's clear now it's only unlevel horizontally :lol:

thanks for the tips, I might leave it for a day or two and see if it settles into the carpet and levels itself out. If not I'll take some action!

I do suspect that the tank is a little off manufacturing wise, but I'm taking the level measurement from the stands perspective.

The fluid dynamics actually confuses me a bit, I'll have to take a picture for it to make sense. It might have something to do with the filter being on the high side of the tank.

2 - 3 mm is extremely insignificant amount of leaning. Im an architect and we have a saying in the industry "we are building a building not a wrist watch". Basically, it doesn't need, nor will it ever be perfect. If it was like a 1/4" or more, i would be worried, but we are talking about a very insignificant amount. Mine tilts slightly to the center of the room too... not much, probably about the same.

I wouldn't worry about that little bit of unlevelness. (Is that a word? LOL) I don't think I have one tank that is perfectly level and that includes my 125 gal.

Back
Top Bottom