Time to add some life to the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lepomis

Aquarium Advice Freak
Tank is cycled and ready to add a clean up crew for the diatoms that have started to cover my sand bed and live rock. Looks like I would need half the "recommended" levels so often given by online retailers. Would a total of 30 snails (turbos, ceriths, and nerites) and 10 hermits (blue legged) be fine for a 75 gallons?

I'll admit, I am new to this hobby but I have a little less than that in my 75-gallon and it seems to be enough of a clean up crew.

I would start with a smaller clean up crew and add more if needed. 30 snails should be a good starting point for a new tank. I like nassarius (they like to hide and stir the sand), ceriths, margarita snails and maybe a fighting conch or two. Personally, I am not a big fan of hermits. I have 3 in my 55G and make sure you have extra, larger shells for them to move into.

I agree on the snails (30 is fine to start) and not adding the hermits. Even with plenty of extra shells they always want a shell currently occupied by a snail. I no longer have any hermits or other crabs in my tank.

Thanks for the suggestions. I went ahead and ordered some nassarius snails to the mix (still kept it at 30). I have mixed feeling towards the hermits but went ahead and ordered several of them and will add some additional shells and will keep an eye on the situation.

I just got some dwarf planaxis snails and they are pretty cool. Spend all their time under the sand in my tanks, and even go upside down and clean the bottoms of the rocks. Also because they are slow, the hermits have been leaving them alone, but it is true they will go after the snails sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom