Time to make the switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sinibotia

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a very guilty confession. I've been keeping fish for 11 years. Here's a list of legitimate planted tanks I've had:

Yeah, I've had a few plants in my fish tanks before, but usually it was a random plant I threw in the tank from either petco or a local water body, and it either died or grew out of control until I removed it. Never more than one or two real plants among a forest of fakes. Never anything researched.

Now I've got a 20 high with two ram cichlids and 5 peppered corys, and the tank is all but empty of decor. A few plastic plants and some flat rocks, none of which look any good. And a really, REALLY awful incandescent hood. I want to try something different.

So, I think I'm going to replace the hood tomorrow, and get something that I can grow plants with. What kind of hood should I get? (For a reasonable cost) What else should I do? Fertilizers? Types of plants? This is like a whole new realm to me. What do I need to know?

Tank specs:
20 gallon high
2 ram cichlids, 5 peppered corys
Water is around 12 degrees GH, 3 degrees KH
pH around 7.5
Soon-to-be-replaced hood has two 5 watt incandescent bulbs
1 inch of play sand substrate

Back
Top Bottom