Time to panic yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tilted bottle probably won't work cause lobsters can swim out.
Take a plastic bottle and cut the top off at the shoulder. Invert the top inside and staple or stitch the edge together ( hole punch and string to stitch). If the lobster is bigger than the bottle mouth you might need to cut it a bit bigger before you invert the top.
Also put a small rock inside for weight. Add bait and leave it in once the lights go out

Hopefully other fish won't go in and crabs can't.

Good luck

Don't blame the lobster. I have had a debelius reef lobster in my tank for over a year, and he has yet to even look at a fish funny. You could easily blame the health of the goby on the fish store you bought him from, and the stress of being just tossed in your tank. If you go by trial by fire, your cjances of keeping a normally shy fish are pretty small. A good quarantine will go a long way towards keeping your new additions from becoming your newest memory.

Daddysdodgers said:
Don't blame the lobster. I have had a debelius reef lobster in my tank for over a year, and he has yet to even look at a fish funny. You could easily blame the health of the goby on the fish store you bought him from, and the stress of being just tossed in your tank. If you go by trial by fire, your cjances of keeping a normally shy fish are pretty small. A good quarantine will go a long way towards keeping your new additions from becoming your newest memory.

Great point there. That was a small fish in a big tank, there are many differant things that could have happened. I think you should see some indications that the lobster was agressive before catching it.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Great point there. That was a small fish in a big tank, there are many differant things that could have happened. I think you should see some indications that the lobster was agressive before catching it.

If the claw dont fit, you must acquit! Lol! My lobster is a valuable member of my clean up crew. I'm more worried about his burrows collapsing my rock work, than him eating my fish. Detritus, however, has no chance.

I have a mandarin dragonet, and two scooter blennies that co exist with my lobster. I also have a lawnmower blenny and a black sailfin blenny in the tank with him. Again, dont blame the lobster. You can get a 10 gallon tank with a sponge filter or powerhead,with a chunk of live rock from your display, and a sand bed for less than 50 bucks, which will save you a ton of money down the line. The hobby can be expensive, but a good quarnatine is not.

No signs of any disease in this guy. He was active, skin clean, eating/sifting shortly after being put in. Also, it wasn't like he suffered a slow demise from disease. He disappeared after one night in the tank.

I was also told that you didn't want to quarantine a sleeper goby. Quarantine tanks aren't supposed to have sand I thought?

I keep my quarantine full all the time. I put sand in mine, for when I was qt some wrasses I bought. They need sand so they dont mash their faces up on the glass while trying to bury themselves at night. I figure if I need to dip, I can do it in something else. My qt is just a safe place for new additions, so I can feed them and limit their stress before going in the display. I dont know if this is the right or wrong way, but it works for me.

The fish could have died from stress, internal parasites.. Maybe it was collected with Cyanide.. Who knows. Im not a vet, just a hobbyist. I keep a lobster, and have no problems. Chalk it up as luck, or whatever. I like my lobster, and until I see it munching on a fish, I wont blame him.

Daddysdodgers said:
I keep my quarantine full all the time. I put sand in mine, for when I was qt some wrasses I bought. They need sand so they dont mash their faces up on the glass while trying to bury themselves at night. I figure if I need to dip, I can do it in something else. My qt is just a safe place for new additions, so I can feed them and limit their stress before going in the display. I dont know if this is the right or wrong way, but it works for me.

The fish could have died from stress, internal parasites.. Maybe it was collected with Cyanide.. Who knows. Im not a vet, just a hobbyist. I keep a lobster, and have no problems. Chalk it up as luck, or whatever. I like my lobster, and until I see it munching on a fish, I wont blame him.

My feeling is that while my lobster is really cool looking I never see it because it is constantly in a cave. I don't see any point to keeping it. Almost all the online sites say reef safe with caution and that they may go after smaller or slower fish.

It could be the lobster, but I agree with others that it is more likely acclimation issues, poor collection techniques or water quality. The reef is a dangerous place.

Back
Top Bottom