Tiny snails in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua315

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so on top of everything else I'm dealing with with my tank right now, I just noticed two tiny little snails on the glass of my aquarium. Afraid they were those snails that plague store fish tanks, I flushed them. Th only way I think of that I could have gotten them is when I bought some live plants two weeks ago. I don't see any more but could this become a problem?

No, they're just a pest I used to have some and they multiplied by tens each week. You should be fine though. If you really wanna get rid of them, the best way to go is the assassin snail, it eats virtually all snails.

Snails can be picked up off of live plants when bought at the store, like you said. A method I've heard of for getting rid of them was to drop a peace of lettuce in there and let it sit for a while. The snails will eventually be all over the lettuce and then you can simply pick it out and throw them away. In theory, as I have not tested it. As far as the snails being a bad thing I'm not sure but it seems to be frowned upon.

Aqua315 said:
Ok so on top of everything else I'm dealing with with my tank right now, I just noticed two tiny little snails on the glass of my aquarium. Afraid they were those snails that plague store fish tanks, I flushed them. Th only way I think of that I could have gotten them is when I bought some live plants two weeks ago. I don't see any more but could this become a problem?

The best way to avoid them (if you choose to) is to give new plants a dip/wash in H2O2 ( hydrogen peroxide) for 30 seconds or so and rinse off in cold tap water before planting. Snails will proliferate from leftover food and what not, so if you're seeing a lot of them, then I'd suggest cutting back on feeding.

Mr. Limpet said:
The best way to avoid them (if you choose to) is to give new plants a dip/wash in H2O2 ( hydrogen peroxide) for 30 seconds or so and rinse off in cold tap water before planting. Snails will proliferate from leftover food and what not, so if you're seeing a lot of them, then I'd suggest cutting back on feeding.

+1 to Mr. Limpet. Some of the best advice I've ever gotten on the site. After the dip, not only do I not worry about pathogens in the tank...but the bowl of hydrogen peroxide has dead snails floating in it.

You could also use the lettuce trick to try and remove the ones you have. Drop a piece of lettuce or other veggie in there for a few hours after dark, flip the light on and it should be covered with the snails...then do with them as you please.

*edit- Whoops! The lettuce trick was already mentioned, sorry :)

Back
Top Bottom