Tips for 5 gallon Betta setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreaminginBlue

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Long story short- upgrading a friend's betta. He's going from a one gallon into a used tank I got off Craigslist and cleaned, it's an Aqueon minibow, five gallons. Substrate is natural gravel, silk plants for now (with plans to do live as soon as the person I'm helping with the fish is ready). I know temperature should be between 76-80, I'm thinking 78?
Also, do bettas need hiding spots, besides plants? I figured yes but wasn't sure.
Any other tips would be great.
I plan to get a filter intake sponge to cover the intake and prevent Mr. Betta from getting stuck.
Will post before and after pictures as soon as the tank is set up. Using safe start to get the tank cycling, but will monitor closely in case it doesn't work.
All advice welcome.

My wife has a betta in a 5g in her office. I don't know a lot about them, but I do know that she has a small cave that her betta spends some time in, and seems to enjoy swimming through. So, I would say that although he may not need a hide, he'll certainly enjoy one.

Thanks! I'll definitely make sure to get one, then. :)

I've have bettas for a while, you should definitely have a hide for them. Floating log hides are their fav. If you can get some floating moss that'll be great too.

Okay, I'll try to get one of the logs. I've seen them around and wondered about them, thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom