Tips needed! About to get fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iwillbeatyoutwice

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm about to get my fish. One fish. And before I do that what do I need to do. It has perfect water levels do I need to do a water change? Any other tips?

Getting Fish

So I'm about to get my fish. One fish. And before I do that what do I need to do. It has perfect water levels do I need to do a water change? Any other tips?

Hello I...

You apparently have your tank set up for cycling with fish. That's fine. You need more than one fish. Four or five small, hardy ones are needed. I like Platys or Zebra Danios. Get them into the tank and they're waste will start the cycling process.

You'll need to have a water test kit, so you can check the water quality. You need to test for traces of ammonia and nitrite.

Do you have a water testing kit?

You need to be prepared for all this, because the lives of your new fish depend on your preparation.

Are you with me on this?

B

Also google U-Tube for how-to videos on 'drip acclimatization' for the proper method for introducing any new fish.

As I said it has proper levels. It's already cycled. Now I do a 50% water change is that right?

What are you nitrate levels in your tank & your tap water? You will need to do a 100% wc (possibiliy more than 1) to get your nitrate levels as low as possible. Make sure you use temperature-matched, conditioned water (dose conditioner to the size of your tank) so you dont shock your bacteria.

Hm, your other posts state that your tank is pretty new, a few days old right? Letting the tank run isn't cycling it (regardless of what the fish stores tell you). Also are you planning a goldie for this tank? Is it the 10 gal? You've already heard some replies regarding that stock but ultimately it's up to you. But if you are planning to cycle with a fish please be prepared for daily testing and potentially daily water changes daily for 1-3 months. Please read the link above that Jlk linked to, the first thing it covers is cycling.

Reactions: jlk
Back
Top Bottom