Tips of Java Fern turning black

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandoborg

Aquarium Advice Activist
While doing some maintenace today i noticed the tips of my Crested Java Ferns are turning Yellow>Black . Not bad, but it's there and things like this tend to make me nervous! Everything else in the tank looks great, except some Hydro Sp Japan that's just sitting in Limbo and not doing much of anything ! It's only been in there a little over a month, and my dang Pictus cat tends to turn it up every chance he can !! I dosed Seachem Florish two nights ago but that's nothing new. I use Eco-Complete, run a Finnex Ray 2 daylight LED and CO2 as well. Is this something i should be concerned about ?? Also, i tied two Annubis' today. One to a piece of driftwood, and the other to a rock. Will the one on the rock root ok ? Will i be able to cut the fishing line after they grab hold or should i just leave it on ?? Finally, what would be a better ground cover plant than the Hydro Japan if that doesn't work out ?? I'm leaning towards Dwarf Sag, but will that work with my lighting ? Dwarf Hairgrass looks so appealing, but i don't think i have enough light for that....... I'm patient, so i'm looking for fast growing or anything like that, just a good hardy ground cover over time. Thanks in advance for any suggestions...........

Sorry to be so long winded.........:D

Jim

You probably are having nutrient deficiencies problems. A picture would help. Your running decent light and CO2 but you need to be dosing a full macro and micro fert regime using dry ferts. Flourish is mostly just a micro nutrient mix. I bet your Hydro sp Japan would start growing as it usually grows pretty quickly. Do you know your nitrate and phosphate levels?

Rivercats, thanks for your reply !! I actually have to get a Phosphate test kit, the API kit i have doesn't have that in it, and being new to the planted tank i wasn't sure what tests to get !!...When you say 'dry ferts' are you refering to the PPS system from Greenleaf ? Do you mix those in the bottle or are you talking about adding the dry goods directly to the aquarium water ?. The Java Fern seems fine other than the tips, so i have a little time to work with it !!

Thanks again !!

Jim

Besides having the master test kit I have the API phosphate test kit and the API Gh and Kh dual test kit.

I do dry ferts from Greenleaf Aquarium and dose PPS-Pro. If you go that route do you know if you have hard or soft tap water? Reason I'm asking is the PPS fert pack combo has MgSO4, magnesium, which you won't need if you have hard water. If you have hard water I'd order the El fert package and then order 3 dosing bottle separately. I mix my nitrates in one bottle, phosphates and potassium in one bottle, and micro's in the third bottle. This allows you to custom dose your macro's to your tanks needs. If you dose El then you dry dose the ferts. The difference between PPS-Pro and El is that PPS is more about dosing to your tanks needs and El is about overdosing ferts so plants always have all the ferts they need.

Back
Top Bottom