To dose or not to dose, that is the question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdpuffer

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well as the title says!!!! I have a tank that's been up and running for a few months now and have collected a pretty good amount of corals. I have LPS sps and softies. I am also starting to see alot of coralline growth and feather dusters also. Now to the heart of the thread, what are people's opinions on dosing pros and cons and what are some good products to use. With growth in my tank I am expecting to see a decline in calcium mainly, my salt mixes up to 440ppm. I know alot of people say dosing isn't needed so I'm looking to see if it's worthwhile or not. Fire away folks!!!!!!

Try testing first. See what your levels are after a day or so after your water change. That would tell you if you need to supplement calcium. Of course you need to check your alkalinity, and magnesium as well. All three of these go hand in hand. Water changes with reef salt will replenish these- bit not if being used up faster than your water changes are done. As far as what to dose with- everyone has their preference.

+1 Jlsardina

Totally agree. If you test frequently and find that your calcium, magnesium and alkalinity dip too far down between water changes then you should consider dosing.

Fair enough, thanks for the input. I was just curious cause I read alot of people saying that dosing isn't usually needed. I haven't tested yet this week (I have been doing it weekly so far) but I'll start testing a little more often to get a better feel for things.

Back
Top Bottom