To plant or not to plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dwane

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I am new to the aquarium world and and this website has been great so far.

Now I am trying to figure out if I want to have live plants or not and would like some advice from you to nudge me in the right direction. I don't want to put any money into lighting or CO2 and don't want anything that is going to require much maintenance.

Would a low light set up be a good idea for me and if so what substrate and beginner plants do you recommend? My tank hasn't been set up yet but here is what I have Fluval Vicenza 180 Bowfront Aquarium System. 180 Liter tank. Fluval 205 external canister filter and 2 x 22" 24W GLO T5 bulbs.

Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Organic potting soil capped w gravel or sand... But a lot of low light plants do ok w normal gravel if u use ferts like flourish ... Java ferns or acubias do good n low light... No co2 needed really. Plants have a ton of benefits. Oh wistria. My fav plant. Grows like a weed under a range of environments. And as far as lights I get not wanting to buy new fixture but get a bulb w either a 6700 or 10000 k rating. Wats ur set up now.

Hi there,

A low light setup would be fine for you. I'm not sure about the bulbs, all I know is that T5s are good though :) IDK how much light it is though but you should have enough light from looking at this chart:

edit: credit goes to Hoppy, member of http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...t5-t12-pc.html

Any substrate should be fine. As for beginner plants, try java fern, java moss, anubias, crypts, water wisteria, hornwort and pennywort, and see where it takes you.

Last edited:
Planys have a ton of benefits for water quality and beauty. What type fish u keep. Wats tank size. Current lighting... Etc

I don't have any fish yet as this is a new setup but I want to set up a tank with peaceful community fish, probably some glowlight tetras and harlequin rasbora etc.

Here is what I have so far Fluval Vicenza 180 Bowfront Aquarium System. 180l/48Gal. Fluval 205 external canister filter and 2 x 22" 24W GLO T5 bulbs. The bulbs are in the hood that came with it and it has a built in timer.

If u buy 67000-10000 k bulbs that is great lighting for plants... The before mentioned plants will be fine. Consider a quality substrate. Like the organic soil capped.. or a flourite from lfs or an Eco mix from lfs. Some chem ferts Amd frequent water changes... If u get a lot of plants u can make DIY co2 systems using old coke bottles and sugar and yeast...or use Excel in place of co2... But a lot of low light plants don't need co2. Its a trial and error thing. Community fish do awesome in planted tanks... And its so awesome watching them swim around a natural looking environment.

I bought some bags of fluorite black sand and I'm rinsing it now, this stuff is incredibly dirty I think I will be busy for a while. I am painting my tank background black while I wait too, hopefully it won't be too much black.

Back
Top Bottom