to skim or not to skim?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

morbie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,

I have a 60Liter tank. (15 gallon?)
Is it recommended that i install a skimmer?
If so, which kind? Note that i have a closed aquarium, so i was thinking about the SeaClone protein skimmer. They have a version which goes up to 100 gallon. Isn't this overkill for this tank?
Tnx for your help guys..

well wether you "should" or not will be a matter of opinion. There are a lot of folks who swear by them, and some who say they're not necessary.

I've been running a 55 gallons (~208L) for 3 or 4 years now without one. So IMO, you don't NEED one. But if I had the room for a sump and a skimmer, I would add one for the added benifit it provides.

hope that helps.

considering a new SeaClone runs about $100, you may as well get this CPR bak pak instead
http://amekaaquatics.com/Merchant2/...ct_Code=SECONDS_CYHO2R&Category_Code=_SECONDS

its a factory second,w hich means it might have a scratch on the plastic, but is otherwise 100% structurally sound. its a good way to save $60 on a brand new skimmer, that still comes wtih a warranty.

SeaClone's get a lot of bad reviews for being inefficient. It'd work fine on a tank as small as yours, but a CPR will be able to be used up to about 55gallons before you'd need something bigger. Its a better investment IMO.

I'd just do larger/more frequent water changes, which are easy on a small tank, but mean that you will probably spend more in the lifetime of the tank on salt then you would for a good skimmer. But, on a reef tank, I prefer the extra benefits (super dilution, trace elements, etc.).

But, if you prefer the skimmer...its hard to beat the Bakpak at that price.

alright, bought myself a biostar flotor from aquamedic. I have the thing running and all BUT should i completely close the airlid from that pump or should i leave it completely open etc... tnx for the help again guys!! :)
:mrgreen:

jaiden said:
skim! Go cpr or aquac remora. no such thing as too much skimming!

I offer this link, browse myth #17 http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-01/eb/index.php

I think it is an interesting perspective and reflects how little we know what skimming really does (in regards to removing beneficial matter...we are only at the beginning of understanding coral feeding).

Ok.. any ideas about how much i should open this airlid of the skimmer?
tnx!

Back
Top Bottom