to skim or not to skim...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdoc

Aquarium Advice Regular
Its done I have my tank up and runing. 55g predrilled overflow with a Pro proclear 75 sump (built in skimmer), cpap 2200 pump->550g/h, 40W 6500K and a 40 Actinic, 50lbs live rock (just added, came overnight from Dr. Fosters ect.) and 40lbs live sand. I also have 4 damsels.
Question:
1) do I skim or not while the rock is curing and the tank is cycling?
2)Do I keep the lights on or off?
3)When do I add trace elements to help with the coralline algea growth?

Thanks, I have learnt so much from this site, you have been a GREAT help.

I take it you are using the Damsels to cycle the tank? You could have just used the LR to do the job...

You don't have to skim during the cycle, but some choose to do so to break it in, which takes about 7 days or so.
Since you have LR I would keep the lights on during a normal cycle (8-10 hours).
Trace elements - I would not add anything you can't test for. Pick up a SW test kit and test at the end of the cycle. This will tell you what you need or don't need.

Is there a way you can return the Damsels?

Mike

Sorry, the kids are in love with them, given names to each one. I am hoping that the damsels are as hardy as is written. Thanks for the adivice. I'll add some picks when it starts to look OK.

Is cycling with fish considered wrong by some because of the higher chance they'll die, or do the fish actually feel worse (i.e. sick) as it cycles? Or is this one of those open-to-debate questions where there's not a known, clear cut answer...

open-to-debate questions where there's not a known, clear cut answer...

no debate whatsoever. the fish are living in the equivalent of a toxic waste dump. This kills off all but the hardiest of fish. So yeah, it is a given that they "feel worse".

Sorry, the kids are in love with them, given names to each one. I am hoping that the damsels are as hardy as is written

The problem will come later, if they live through the cycling. Damsels, AS A GENERAL RULE, are usually quite aggressive and any other fish you add, may not live through the bullying.

Gotcha, thanks for the info. :) I had been considering using them to cycle my tank in addition to live rock because, well, they're pretty, but if the fish wouldn't like it then it's out of the question. I was hoping it was more like the question of whether lobsters feel pain when they're boiled... science says no, but people who seem them thrashing around say yes.

The LR is plenty to cycle your tank. Worst case throw in a shrimp. If the kids love the damsels they will more than likely watch some of them die. As Hara said you will want to get rid of them later when you stock your tank unless you are going with all aggressive fish tank.
Drzy: it is not a "open-to-debate question" Known fact. It is one of the things that was done long ago when people did not know better. Kind of like when they used to give you a good bleeding in medieval times when you did not feel well. :D
Do I skim or not while the rock is curing and the tank is cycling?
I did. run the skimmer collection cup back into the sump so your skimmer will be "broken in" when the cycle is complete.
Do I keep the lights on or off?
If you have coralline on the LR I would run the lights like normal to keep it alive.
When do I add trace elements to help with the coralline algea growth?
probably never. normal water changes should take care of this.

Thanks for all the info, I plan on giving the damsels back once it is cycled or if they exhibit signs of stress. I hope given the LR/LS there will not be much in the way of a cycle.
The skimmer I have runnnig off into the sump, once the tank is cycled where do I have the skimmer run off to. It seems I would be loosing alot of water if I do not return the water to the sump. :?

I am in the process of trying to fish out a damsel from my tank. The problem is the amount of rock there is for it to hide in, and its speed. He is so big it looks like he has taken steroids. It has quadrupled in size in only 5 months. And the worst part is how nasty he has become. If he wasnt so mean, I would keep it. Just food for thought.

Back
Top Bottom