Toadstool Leather Fragging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skae310

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a couple questions on fragging my toadstool leather. I have researched it a bit and it seems like a very hardy and easy coral to frag (+mines getting too big). Being this is my first time to ever frag anything I think its good to start with this. I know theres a couple different ways to frag, but do you think it would be better to use scissors or a razor? Also I am assuming I am going to need gloves for this, what kind do I get? (I have only seen thick gloves for aquarium use and I want to be able to feel what I am doing) Lastly, when fragging, how long can the original coral and frags be out of water while cutting and attaching pieces?

I have a couple questions on fragging my toadstool leather. I have researched it a bit and it seems like a very hardy and easy coral to frag (+mines getting too big). Being this is my first time to ever frag anything I think its good to start with this. I know theres a couple different ways to frag, but do you think it would be better to use scissors or a razor? Also I am assuming I am going to need gloves for this, what kind do I get? (I have only seen thick gloves for aquarium use and I want to be able to feel what I am doing) Lastly, when fragging, how long can the original coral and frags be out of water while cutting and attaching pieces?

I have never fragged a toadstool, however, I think you should use a razor blade. Not scissors. You can get some Nitrile gloves at Home Depot, just make sure they are NOT powdered.

Scissors are fine as is any any sharp instrument. I cut mine around the crown, actually I cut the crown off. I did that as a circle around the entire leather. I then cut that into section whih I attached to attached to rubble rock, shells, etc. I have 5 left in my tank including the orginal.

The original is now over 10" high and needs to be fragged again.

It's really easy. Just do it OUT OF THE TANK.

I used a big plastic punch bowl filled with tank water. You can get those at the dollar store, and the are clear.

Good idea. Carbon is almost a must.

Oh, I stuck toothpicks through the frags and glued the toothpicks to rubble or larger rocks. After the leather attached I snipped the toothpick ends off.

Getting it out of the tank will be a slight problem. It attached itself to several rocks. I t is however barely attached (literally only a tiny piece but its stuck) Is it okay to gently detach it and take it off surrounding rocks? Also when its out of the tank how long do you have to frag it? and how close to the stem do you cut?

Yeam they tend to attach to any rock they touch. My big is also attached to a couple of rocks. I already moved it away from one and there is a small, but long thin piece still on that rock. So I'm about to go through the same thing. If you can detach it without doing too much harm, you should be fine. The worst is that the parent doesn't make it and you have a bunch of small ones that will grow. I don't think that will happen as they are pretty hardy.

Yea I am not too worried. As of right now I would have to get rid of the parent if I don't frag it. Its too big. So I really have nothing to lose.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom