Too Far Fetched?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mithundsouza

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys
After giving all the info on Aquarium Advice and other sister sites around here and most of the articles a read in the last 8 hours today, its well past midnight where I am from and I am seriously confused.

I started researching the idea of building a green planted tank for myself when the opportunity presented itself to me this morning. There's a nice 4 foot wide space available (unfortunately next to a window, but considering I can shield the tank from direct sunlight, it shouldnt be a problem, i guess) for me to attempt my first planted tank, but after reading through the countless valuable material, i dont know if i am ready for a planted tank just yet or not.

I have a few questions, which if any of you would be kind enough to answer, might help clear things out for me. Like someone who wrote an article said "Its better to ask for advice than to go out there and do something stupid". So here goes.

1. Considering this is my first tank, would i be attempting something more tasking than i can manage if i were to go for a Low-Light + Low-Maint tank?

2. The tank will be a maximum of 3.5 (L) x 2 (B) x 2 (Height). Would i still need an active CO2 system or can i just use the CO2 drops that you get at the LFS?

3. Can someone please point me to some good carpet plants that i can use in the foreground. I really like the way moss looks, but i havent seen too many tanks using them. Most people are using Glosso or Riccai of some sort. Any recos for good moss growth? I'd love a nice dark green cover before and on the rocks + wood that i intend to scape the tank with.

4. Recommendations for some colorful fish that will live for more than a couple of years. I fear the smaller fish may not have a longer lifespan. Should i consider loaches and the likes? I am hoping for some colorful fish to offset the green + white of the plants and aquascape.

Please help.

Thanks in advance

Man I wish I had a tank like that to plant! I say go for it and a nice lowlight planted tank would look nice. For lighting I would go for 1.5 watts per gallon at least if not more. You shouldn't need a co2 system it will just let the plants grow faster and look healthier. For colorful fish I like rainbowfish and tetra they are easy to care for and have nice colors and do live for a few years. What size tank are you looking at? ( gallons?) do you know about cycling a tank before adding fish? Hope everything goes well for you goodluck :)

Some would disagree, but I always recommend starting out with a lowlight tank before taking on highlight tanks.

With lowlight, you can start with basic substrate and cheap bulbs that come with most tanks. You can upgrade everything as you master basic fish and plant keeping.

Most carpeting plants like the types you mentioned are in the high light category and are fussy, and will definately need special plant substrate, high light, fertz and Co2 injection.

If you are looking for a good lowlight plant that grows low to the ground and spreads quickly and easily, try cryptocoryne parva. It will grow well with low light and liquid Co2 (we use Excel). Add micronutrient root tabs and you'll have a jungle in no time.

If you really want high light, prepare to study much more and empty out your wallet.

agreed with mudraker, with lowlight you are limited on plants, but with the right plants and aquascape can look amazing.

There are many new kinds carpet plants available now but I would up the wattage of your lights if you want them to grow successfully. Try and make it about 4 wpg instead of 1.5 a lot of plants won't grow. Plants like hemmianthus Cuba is a great plant but requires a lot light.

I have some blxya japonica in my planted just now and it is a good background plant that doesnt require to strong a light.

It helps if you can get some good aqua soil it is beneficial to the plants in the long run dozing the tank with co2 or liquid carbon will also help.

As for fish I would go for small tetras or rasboras with some amano shrimps

Plant keeping is really not as hard as you may be thinking. I thought it was impossible when I got my first plant without researching. Now I have some pretty plants that are nice and healthy. I wouldn't go 4wpg unless youre keeping some serious plants. I'm running 1.5wpg on my tank and all my low light plants are doing well. I have some high light plants in there as well that are doing pretty good because I have bulbs with the right spectrum. I wish I had more light, but hey, gotta go with the budget. If you can 2wpg will do great for low to moderate plants. Also, with low light plants, CO2 injection isn't necessary. I don't dose CO2. I only add liquid ferts and have a few root tabs in the water. I will be upgrading everything though and then I'll do it right, but everything is going great so far.

Hey guys
Thanks so much for all the replies. Its awesome how welcomed you guys make me feel in the community, that being my first post.

In any case, heeding all the advice that you guys have listed, I think I am going to take the plunge (no pun intended). I have read up enough on cycling the tank and definitely intend to go the fishless method to make sure the tank is well set in and i also give my plants enough time to get used to their new habitat.

During cycling, is it recommended to introduce all the plants or keep some plants out and then introduce them once the nitrate and nitrite levels balance off? I didnt find too much information regarding plants, so just wanted to check.

Also, i have noticed that many people talk about "trimming" the stems for some plants. I am a little perplexed with that. If there's a stem thats growing significantly, do i just want to nip it with a scissor? Wont that kill the stem? How excatly does one trim a submerged plant?

Mudraker, thanks for the suggestion with the crypto parva. I did some research on the same and I think its a relatively easy plant to grow going by the "how to guides" i just read. What are your thoughts on the Green Rotala as an option?

SeverumGuy, shrimpfan, zack and Mudraker, thanks again for the valuable inputs. Out of curiosity, if i wanted to go for a moss carpet, would Java moss be the most suitable?

Moss carpets can take time to grow as moss is a slow growing plant, plus Java moss can grow in all directions. I got some moss from these guys here

Aquarium plants - aquatic plants - Java moss

I went for Fissidens Splachnobryoides to make a carpet but have since moved it onto my rocks to try and make it stick to that.

I have a list of foreground plants that will make a carpet effect for you.

i. Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis( I got these, pics below.)
ii. Lilaeopsis Mauritiana
iii. Staurogyne Repens
iv. Utrclulara Graminifolia
v. Sagittaria Subulata

That's just a few but these ones don't require too strong a light supposedly.

Not sure about trimming stem plants as I don't have them. But someone will know something here.

Good Luck

Attachments

• CIMG3313.jpg
    CIMG3313.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 98
  • CIMG3311.jpg
    CIMG3311.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 102
i just read. What are your thoughts on the Green Rotala as an option?

Its a medium light plant, so I'd avoid it at first.

If you are looking for a leafy stem plant for background, try bacopa australis. It is a nice, green plant that will grow upward in a lowlight environment, and faster than most in low light. It also has the added bonus of growing into a busy type plant if your tank evolve into a high light tank.

Trimming stems means just that. Stem plants (like rotalla or bacopa) can be cut in half to make new plants very easily. You just cut it with scissors wherever you want. Leave the rooted bottom where it is. Take the half you cut off and bury it in the substrate. Some people use plant weights you can buy.

In highlight tanks, stem plants tend to grow ridiculously fast and have to be trimmed weekly or they overgrow in the aquarium.

Shrimpfan and mudraker, thanks so much for the replies.
I am stepping out to a local pet store right now to try and find all the plants you guys listed and that I researched about.

Unfortunately, i don't expect to find a large variety of plants as I live in Mumbai, India. But I'll keep you guys posted on options :)

Cheers and thanks again for being so helpful

Back
Top Bottom