Too many fishies?? What would you do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STARFYRE

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 29 gal tank. It has a whisper 60 HOB filter, which is over the recommended filtration. I also have an airstone in the tank. The current stock in the tank is as follows:
One pleco 5"
Three neons, total 3"
One australlian rainbow 2"
Five feeder guppies (that refuse to die), total 3"
Four emporer tetras, total 8"
One yo-yo loach 3"
One upside-down cat 2"
TOTAL 26 inches of fish
Here's the problem.....
My discus have been hiding, and have clamped fins since I put 5 harlequin rasboras in the tank (a different tank). I'm thinking of removing the rasboras from the discus tank and putting them in the 29 gal tank. Will that overload the 29 gal? Also, the emporers are nippy. However, it seems they are only nippy amongst each other. Will that be a problem?

Here's another thought......
Would the emporers be able to handle themselves in a semi-agressive 55 gal with 3 yellow severums, 1 krib, 1 tame brown african knife, 1 marble angel, 1 african butterfly, 1 royal pleco, 1 eclipse sun cat, 1 spotted pictus, 1 upside-down cat, 1 mystery loach.
I'm looking for suggestions on what you would do in my situation. The discus are the most important to me, and I don't want them to get stressed and die because of the rasboras.

I would defintly move the rasboras, you could put them in the 29 gallon since you do have a large filter. I think as long as you really kept up on keeping the tank under control and clean they would be ok..just look for signs of stress and keep an eye on your parameters. if that won't work, ya could consider a 10 gallon from walmart, 50 bucks get ya the whoel setup with flourescent lighting. I'm not sure baout the fish you have in the 55 though, I think that they might have problems in there.

Another tank is not an option. I have a total of 8 tanks running. I was thinking of moving the emporers from the 29 gal into the 55 gal to make room for the rasboras. I think I might just throw the feeder guppies in the 55 gal and turn my head. They take up about the same amount of room as the rasboras.
EDIT:
I put 2 of the feeder guppies in the 55 gal, and took all 5 rasboras from the discus tank, and put them in the 29 gal. Diva wasn't lookin too good, so I didn't want to wait any longer to see if they got used to them.

Back
Top Bottom