Too Much Light for Java Fern?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltair

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 16 gal with one 18" 15W T8 Glo-Life bulb. I have a Java Fern That until recently was shaded by a larger plant, unkown type, that came in one of those Petco Tubes. The larger plant died and fell apart so I removed it an now the Java Fern has turned black and the leaves are full of holes. It even had a couple new plants growing on the tips of the leaves and they appear to have died as well. The lowest leaves have remained green. Did this plant really need the shade from the other plant in this tank? I thought I was pretty low light. suggestions for bringing the fern back to health?

Is there algae on the plant?

The light shouldn't hurt a java fern at all.

Use a paper towel to run it along one of the black spots and see if it rubs off.

It doesn't sound like they are having trouble at all. They are reproducing. Good job on happy plants! :)

If you don't want the baby plants, pinch them off the tips of the leaves now. If you want more of them, let them mature and drop off.

They were doing well, but now they are dyinh.The plant came with a hairy algae all over it which has been getting better. I doubt its algae on the leaves as they are almost completely eaten away, but I will check.

15w of t8 isnt a lot of light anyways. so its not too much light at all. do you have a pic of the plant?

Back
Top Bottom