Too Much Light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcherry

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm starting up a high tech planted tank but going slow. I have a 3 bulb fixture (54 watts T5ho each bulb) over a 75 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump. I won't be getting co2 for a few weeks, I'm just doing with excel right now. I have an amazon sword, anacharis, a moss ball, and some spiral val. The only one doing well is the moss ball. The other 3 aren't terrible but not great either, they're losing leaves slowly but surely. 54 watts plant-gro bulb for 4 hours on, 4 hours of, then 5 hours on, then off for the night. I turn thr other two 54 watt bulbs (10000k and 6500k) on for about 3 hours during the second daylight period. even the anacharis isn't doing great. Any ideas?

I would cut out the third bulb and only have the two bulbs going for about 6 to 8 hours only. Have it come on when you are at home without the seista, unless you are determined to see the fish during the day. You need to have the co2 and ferts to go with that light setup. That is high lights.

The excel could be killing the val and the anacharis they have been reported as sensitive to Excel. What is in the tank? What substrate do you add, ferts are there any root tabs in for the sword?

I knew about the anacharis and Excel, didn't know about the val. I use root tabs for the swords only, I also dose trace 2x a week. My water has high nitrates (about 40ppm out of the tap) but the plants eat that right up.

Also 5 amano shrimp and a bristlenose pleco for algae. 3 angels to keep it interesting till I start the heavy planting.

Back
Top Bottom