Too much pH & using Crushed Coral cuz it was too low!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thomasina

Aquarium Advice Freak
My pH was too low, got Crushed coral and now my pH is a solid 7.6. I had to do 2 water changes back to back because of the amm. level was WAY up there, and it reduced it by half. Question is, should I take CC out and if so, how does one store it in case I need it again?:banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you leave the cc in it will keep the ph up. If you take it out the ph will start dropping after water changes. How did you use the crushed coral? A lot of people use it by putting it in a filter bag or panty hose into the filter.

Thank you for answering!! I have a little more than a cup full, in a knee hi sock, just laying at the bottom back of the tank. If and when I take it out, how do I store it, and in what type of container? Yes, I think you are right, I will keep it in there for now. I am up grading to a larger tank, from a 10 to 30, and guess I shall put it in the new one also. Your opinion is VERY appreciate!

I didn't answer that part because I was trying to get to the fact by adding it, it brought the ph up. If you take it out the ph will gradually start going back down. This is not good on fish ( any fish) by it going up and down all the time is what we call ph fluctuations. If your going to use it you need to leave it in or don't use it at all.

When setting up the new tank I'd add it to it right away so it will have time to raise the ph to match the other tank. In the meantime I'd leave it in a cup of water or container. Because it will have some bacteria growth on it that will help you get threw the cycle of the new tank.

Back
Top Bottom