Top Fin 10g Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ceej

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've read mixed reviews about the Top Fin 10 gallon starter kit filter. What is so bad about it and should I consider a different type of filter?

Many people prefer over filtration in their tanks, and often the filters they provide in those starter kits aren't the highest quality.

for example i have an Aquaclear 50 on my 20G tank. which provides filtration rated by the company for up to 50 Gallons

I was thinking about the penguin 100 for my 29g tank. Then again, I've heard bad things about biowheels.
I'm sticking with my top fin 10 filter for now on my 10g. I'll just change the cartridge every month or so. Maybe even a good rinse will work. Haven't had it running only a week now so I don't know if the cartridge will be tore up by then. So I guess now, all I need is a good reputable filter for my 29g.

i had a little tiny 10G filter on my old tank, it worked ok. just make sure you keep up with water changes if u have a lot of fish. i just like the reassurance of having over-filtration

Over-filtration is never a bad idea, imo. Is the cartridge simply enough for my 10g filter? Should I switch to a different kind or add other media to it? Or should I just use a filter with whatever comes with it and stick to that? I've been reading forums about people adding this and that for added mechanical and biological filtration.

jetajockey said:
I've used the top fin kit before and yeah, the filter is mediocre at best. I'd add another filter to the tank personally.

First time using top fin filter. Can I get away with just ringing the cartridge, or would it be wise to buy a pack of new ones? Cartridge is fine right now. Only a week old.

I remember with mine that there isn't much room for filter media in the filter itself, and when you do stuff some in there it makes the water flow back over top of the intake.

I just put a sponge prefilter over the intake pickup tube.

Also, I wouldn't worry about getting any more cartridges, if the one you have in there gets totally worn out, just replace it with a piece of sponge or filter floss.

You're right. That cartridge has expanded a lot. Not enough room for anything else. Thanks for your insight.

Back
Top Bottom