Top Fin 60 Filter system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vaquero

Aquarium Advice Freak
Top Fin 60 Filter Problems

My Top Fin 60 keeps over flowing into the tank. I have tried turning the flow down but it doesn't seem like it is enough for my 55 gallon tank. Can I turn it down and still get the filtration effect that I need for the tank. The high setting is from the manufacturer so I'm not sure I can turn it to a lesser flow so it doesn't overflow between the two filters?

I think that filter does that when the pads need to be replaced or cleaned. The water gets directed between the two pads and in to the tank.

the blockage may be half the problem, but the other half is just that the filter is a POS... i had the same one with my 55G kit. the noise lasted a week before i got irritated... went out and bought an aquaclear 70 and put the inserts from the topfin 60 into it. a week later i picked up an aquaclear 110 as well.

my point to all this is, replace the filter... i've tried everything i could think of to get it back to normal and most of the time my fixes would only last a few hours. my best advice... pick up another filter and just move the inserts that are already in the topfin

greenwater said:
I think that filter does that when the pads need to be replaced or cleaned. The water gets directed between the two pads and in to the tank.

Greenwater is correct.....

its been noisy since it was pulled out of the box. I even took them out today and swished them around in a bucket to help clean some of the 3 week old gunk out of them.

the noise doesn't come from a filter issue, the noise comes from the motor mag and the impeller. they'll need to be replaced eventually... i almost did that but then opted to replace the whole filter...

vaquero said:
wow i have only owned it 3 weeks, should i take the filter back????

You could try, but I'd be willing to bet anything that they won't take the filter because it was part of a kit and if you want to exchange it you'll have to return the WHOLE kit... It's a pain in the @**. I ran into that problem which prompted me to just replace it

If you got the kit from Petco they will, more often than not, work with you. Take the filter in, find a manager, and explain the situation. They will usually let you pick another filter. You will, of course, have to pay the difference.

I don't think they will take it back for exchange. Mine did the same so I put a different impeller in it and it's fine now.

We have two of the top fin 60's on our tank. To me it sounds like i have an airpump problem. I dont hear my filters at all over my airpump. I also have it set on the high setting for the last 2 months and im not see any over flow issues.

I have the same problem with overflow and noise. i just change the cartridges more often and i put one of those glass decoration blocks ontop of the filter and the noise stopped because it was just the lid vibrating crazily. just be carefull it doesnt knock it off.

I took the filter back tonight and the new one is much quieter. They(petsmart) just took one from a new setup and will return it for defective pump I also returned 3 Albino Tiger Barbs 2 alive and 1 dead from mouth rot. Now I am dealing with 1 bala with Ich. I will give it a day to check over flow. And I did keep the old filters and put them back into the new one. The new setup came with two new filters, so I don't have to buy new ones when needed.

vaquero said:
I took the filter back tonight and the new one is much quieter. They(petsmart) just took one from a new setup and will return it for defective pump...

Figured they would. The big box pet places are usually very good when it comes to returning items, even from kits.

Back
Top Bottom