Topping up clown pair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oO BRIGHTY Oo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Recently lost one of our clowns to the dreaded ich, the other one seems to be hanging in there and looks like it may survive, so when it comes to it I don't just want one clown, would it be ok to add another clown (same species) or will it not be accepted?

How big is your tank? Do you know if it was the male or female that died?

I think it was the female, it was slightly smaller then the other one but was slightly lighter in colour. The tank is 280 litres

You can add one, just make sure the one you add is larger or smaller then the one in the tank.

If it was smaller it was probably a male...i would try to get one a lot smaller than the one you have now...once one becomes female it won't change back..You risk having 2 females if you get a bigger one and that will not end well...Better to have 2 males and let the dominant one change..

Are you sure there is no ick hanging in the tank? Getting another fish now may not be a good move. The new fish will be stressed from the transfer from the lfs and also from a new tank full of unfriendly faces. If the ick is still present in the tank it will be very susceptible to getting it.

That's why i mentioned when things are ok, I've installed a powerful UV 2weeks ago and it's looking like it's saving my clown and keeping it from my Koran, once the clown starts to improve on health then I shall think about re-stocking

Plus I was having major algae problems on my sand and it totally cleared it up and the tanks never looked so clean! So at the moment we are just monitoring the fishes health before contemplating getting anything else but thanks for the suggestions and advice as to it being possible

Back
Top Bottom