Torch Coral Wont Open

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrg02d

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all,
I got a torch coral about a week ago and it still has yet to open up like in LFS. It looks like its holding back. I am not sure what it may not like about its spot in the tank. It is in direct lighting, and medium flow. My lighting is now about 160W of T5. (4-24in, VHO T5 bulbs driven with an IceCap).
My tank is 20g.
Maybe the torch doesnt like the direct light? Maybe needs more flow?

My new frogspawn looks nice! Its loving its spot I guess. (Has opened up incredibly!).

Also, my new Fluval 305 seems to be a bit strong. Any way to adjust the flow rate? No matter where I point the output nozzle, its just a bit too much seeing as a 20gallon is the size it is. (A tall one).

Thanks!
Matt

Hello,
My parameters are all good.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: "0" (I dont see how this could be zero, as I dont do anything special aside from PWC each week).
SG: 1.025
Temp:80F
Calcium: 460ppm
dKH:9
Phosphate: 0.5ppm (Maybe this is too high?)

I have heard that running bulbs too hot will cause them to shift their wavelenghts. Is this correct? I dont know how hot my bulbs are since they are completely enclosed, but I do have a strong fan blowing of the fixture and under it. It stays warm, but not hot.

Is it possible to have too much light?
Matt

Well, I moved a bunch of frog spawn from my 40G to my 180G and they were open in hours, this while going from PC lights to halides. Is anything irritating it?

Your nitrate can be 0. If you do a PWC weekly you shouldn't have much of a nitrate level at all. Try moving the torch next to the frogspawn. Both are the same family, and like the same flow and lighting.

Hello,
I moved the torch down to the bottom next to my frogspawn. We will see how it does there.

I am surprised to see my Nitrates are 0 because they tend to be around the 10-20ppm mark usually. I dont do anything besides weekly 15% PWC. Well, I also cut feeding down somewhat to deal with diatoms and cyano.

My phosphates are now 0 today after adding my new fluval 305 with clearmax in it. Ive read that 0 phosphates can be bad. Is this true? Should I remove the clearmax now so as to allow a little phosphate to remain for the corals?
EDIT: Maybe my Crocea Clam is responsible for removing the nitrates? I read they use them.
Matt

Back
Top Bottom