total newb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jintz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. I'm just an old lady who just found out she loves aquarium life, but apparently clueless and impatient and feeling really bad for my 10 gallon inhabitants. It started with rescuing a beta from being flushed. That poor beta went into a 1.5 gallon fish bowl to a 10 gallon aquarium that wasn't cycled 'cause I had no clue. Pet store associate set me up with an AIR PUMP, gravel and some fake plants for Mr. Beta to hide in.... I just assumed the guy knew all about keeping everything aquatic happy and healthy. I ended up with a dwarf frog too (which I fell in love with and bought 4 more then next day). Mr. Beta survived the whirl wind air pump which I took back the next day and found a filter system, proper food for both frogs and beta.... well .... He did eventually die and now I have 2 cory cats, 3 neons, 2 apple snails,3 sword tails and 2 frogs. I'm getting a 20 gallon or 29 gallon tomorrow. NO plants at all, just aquarium decorations for hiding in and around for everyone. All this in 9 weeks. I DID NOT WANT ALL THESE fish, they have been gifts, handed to me in bags :/ tonight one of the snails is floating. They've been in there probably 3 weeks, pretty good sized now. What might be causing it to float? The PH dropped a little today, but it's back to 6.8 again.

Those snails will sometimes "float" it will find its way eventually.

The important part here is: LIQUID test kit!

Do you have one?

If not- get one ASAP! This is how you know what's really going on in the water.

Once you have that and can tell us these readings we can help you further..

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:

Caleb

Welcome to the forum!

Snails will sometimes float because they are eating a thin algae layer on the water surface. But only after testing, as above stated, will you know that it's not your water parameters causing this.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom