Tough time picking new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Breakthecycle2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had a thread going a few months ago about glass vs. acrylic. To get a custom glass tank built (6 foot) will cost almost 4K shipped for just the tank. So I turned my thoughts to acrylic. I can get an acrylic (72x26x20) for $1100 plus the sump (with fuge and ATO section) 48x20x18 for $350 + $450 for shipping. Im just awaiting a price on the stand. Obviously with acrylic, it scratches very easily, which concerns me. My other option is to go with the IM Nuvo Sr series. I was thinking of the 120. Please share your thoughts and opinions.

As you probably have realized by now everything is a compromise...., I bought my upgraded 135gal acrylic a few years back to replace my 75 gal glass tank,.... Yes it does scratch easier so you have to use a lot more caution when scraping algae or moving rocks around but after owning both it's still a tough standoff ,...but , If I had to purchase another tank ( and money wasn't the deciding factor ) I'd probably go for the acrylic setup again,... It's more expensive upfront but overall I think it's a better long term investment.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

IMHO I think it's simply a more stable and forgiving material , doesn't chip or breaks as easily , it doesn't rely on silicone to hold it all together ,I think it retains your aquariums temperature better than glass,.. Its easier to drill out for bulkheads etc,..It's lighter so the initial jocking things into position is easier,,.everyone makes acrylic safe scrapers and acrylic safe algae pads etc,... I also believe that the enthusiast who would actually invest the extra cash to acquire an acrylic setup vs glass has probably already decided that this is going to be his or hers hobby for a long long time to come.... This us just my opinion ,..it's a ford vs Chevy thing ,...they'll both work, it's just what works for you.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Acrylic is much cheaper then glass, by almost 60%. Im curious about the SR series. I had two Nuvo 38's for awhile. The thing that concerns me is the loss of space from the back chamber.

Back
Top Bottom