Transfer of 58 Gal reef w/ HOB to 68 gal reef w/ sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nanoluvr

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys and gals,
Ok...a buddy of mine has a 58 w/hob, and is buying a 68 w/ a sump.
The 58 is established w/ LR, fish, and corals and other invertabrates.
What would be the best method to effect the transfer. I am worried about switching to the new filtration system, in that it is new, w/ no bacteria growth. I am thinking that maybe we should take about half the LR from the old, and put it in the new...and maybe 1/2 the boilogical milter media and do the same. Then let it run for a while. But...one concern is that a removal of that much bacteria would be detrimental.
Any thoughts on the safest, most effective way to accomplish this? I have never had to move anything from one established aquarium to another new one, so I want to be totally sure of my suggestions in moving forward. Thanks for any input.

I would take out half of the rock and add it the other tank. You would need to add more LR or BR to both tanks to have the proper amount nitrifying bacteria growing on your rock. The established tank should be OK since it has the beneficial bacteria on the remaing LR and on the substrate and glass walls. I would wait awhile before adding fish to the new tank.

Back
Top Bottom