Trates & Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wetfishies

Aquarium Advice Regular
I finally hit the cycling stage of only having nitrAtes. I can not get rid of them. Will dead plants cause nitrAtes to stay high?
I have been doing partial water changes & no improvement they will lower a level but go back up again. they was 80 last night I done partial chage now it`s reading 40 now. but As for what I been seeing it will raise again when I check later.

I have now. there was some brown leaves and I been keeping them in there just because they was not falling off the plant yet. Guess I will start ripping them off as they get brown. Do they make higher or keep nitrates in the water? ( dead plants )

Nitrates are most effected by the amount of food you add and the bioload in the tank. Plants decay slowly and will take a while to cause a large nitrate spike.

How much / often are you feeding?
How many fish?
Have you tested your tap water?

There are no trates in the tap. I have 8 fish & 1 clawed frog. I feed them every 2 or three days. 3 giant danios,2 fat belly calico goldfish,neon tetras, My frog has been in the tank with the fish since she was tiny & has been in for 2 yrs now. she has not eaten any of my fish(y) at least not yet. I went threw a bad cycling process due to gravel changing a couple months ago. well the cycling has stopped and as I said it`s just the nitrates that will not go away, should I maybe change my filters?

Nope, i would just rock out with water changes and call it good. The nitrogen is coming from somewhere and will eventually exhaust itself.

What size tank is this?

30 tall. I was doing them 2 x a day, then 3 times a day then went down to one x a day, all month long & some. i done 1/2 tank changes I took out about 27 gal. at once even. My other levels stayed perfect, nitrites couldn't be more beautiful & my ammonia stays close to none.

Back
Top Bottom