Treating fish with a copper base med upon initial quarantine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swishyfishies

Aquarium Advice Activist
In my book "The Marine Aquarium Problem Solver" by Nick Dakin, he states in the quarantine chapter that:

"Once a fish has been purchased & introduced into your quarantine tank build up a prophylactic dose of a copper-based medication to 0.25mg (1.1mg /gallon) over the next few days and test frequently. This protection against many of the commonest diseases will allow the subject to settle in its new surroundings without threat of illness."

I was under the impression it's too stressful to the fish to treat it with any medication unless it is indeed infected with a disease. What is your take on this so called preventive practice?

I would check with your LFS, There is one here that I went to, that dosed their display tanks so that when you receive the fish, it has been medicated. This was their philosophy behind it...
Copper Based medications I believe are not a cure all med.

I think that a quarantine tank is just that. It is a tank that you put your new arrivals in away from the main population, so you can observe them and medicate if you need to. I wouldn't recommend just putting copper in there and treating an un-diseased fish...Others may have more to this, but I find it un-neccessary.

Well, I tell ya, I've battled ich with the best of them, and it is not fun. I hated it. So, because of my ordeal, I do treat new acquisitions in QT with copper and here is why: many fish (especially hardy ones like clown fish and chromis) can be a carrier of ich and not show signs of it. Then, you stick them in your main, and boom....everybody gets ich. I know.....it happened to me! So for me, I'd rather lose a new acquistion in QT from copper treatment (btw, I never have) than to lose everyone in my main.

My .02

Back
Top Bottom