Treating ich with heat only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lunch

Aquarium Advice Freak
A few weeks ago i added a tiny bn plec to my 90ltr, turns out the little bastard had ich, the first i saw it my marble hatchets had a few spots and upon closer inspection, so did my neons, the first time i had ich i was told to use formalin which lets just say, was not good (it took ages and i lost 3 fish ), this time i decided to go with the 32c heat treatment and to my suprise! worked a treat, 11 days since turning up the heat, today it returned to its normal 26c, no meds no deaths no ich.

Though what i did find strange was that all my hatchets and neons + th bn plec that started it all, 15 fish in total had ich, where none of my corys, harlequin rasboras or gbr, 12 in total, didnt

Last edited by a moderator:
If it has returned, maybe the Formalin was not OK after all! Aquarist have bee using formalin to kill exteral parasites for the last 50 years. If you only use heat, this stuff happens, it returns and you stress out the fish with the high temps.
Since your in aus. i can't really tell you what to do or use.... maybe just try salt and heat again and see if you can find some sort of ick medicine at a local fish store.

Should've been clearer, the first time I had ich was 10 months ago, the second time was last week, I say the formalin was not good cos I had to treat the tank for 3 weeks before there was no sign + a week to make sure, lost 3 fish and wiped out my bb, treating with heat took 10 days, fish are fine, bb is fine, to be honest I think my harlequins actually enjoyed the heat cos they were super active

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom