Trial Tank for bigger one with Florite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clarnp49

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Guys!
Been awhile since I posted my last dumb question. I am in the process of starting up a 30 gallon planted tank as a test run before my big 55 gallon. I have 2 bags of Florite as the only substrate, is this ok?

It's going to be a medium light setup with plants and fish. I have a HOB filter for the tank and I hope to save some $ for a canister filter.

Questions...
1. Will the substrate be ok?
2. Filter adequate? Low bioload to start with of course (couple of fish some plants)
3. Absolutely necessary for a CO2 system? Compressed or DIY?

Thanks for the help!

1. It will be fine. Rinse it well
2. Which HOB is it?
3. How much light will you be running? Over 2 watts a gallon it starts to be a must.

1. Thanks! Should have asked before putting it in. Learning my lesson daily!!!!! RINSE FLORITE WELL, makes mental note to self for next time!!

2. It's an Aquaclear for a 30 gallon tank, only takes 2-4 hours to clear the water up after I planted a couple of plants and stirred up the water.

3. Right now it's a 15 Watt came in the lid bulb.

Also see below....

I have 2 Cory Catfish, fish store told me that they would be the best to start with. Any suggestions on food? They are tanish with black markings on them. They seem content and they eat my food that I have but I like to spoil my fish.
Also what other fish would you suggest if you had to get them? I want to introduce some more fish. I am also thinking of a DIY CO2 system and upgrading the light once I get some more plants.

How long has the tank been up and how heavily planted is it? If it's a new tank I'd wait a while before adding any more fish. (Give your cycle a chance to catch up or you'll risk major fish death). If it is brand new (it sounds it--correct me if I misinterpreted)--you'll need to keep a very close eye on your ammonia and nitrite levels (do PWC to keep them below 0.5)--and the more plants the better.

My corys like almost any kind of sinking wafer...but again, if it's a new uncycled tank, you'll want to definitely avoid overfeeding.

Corys like to be in schools...so eventually, I'd get a few more of them. There are tons of options for fish you can have with corys...just avoid anything too aggressive that would torment them.

Right now you definitely don't need CO2...later it depends on how much you want to upgrade your lights, as rich311k said.

New tank as of 2 weeks ago, so far everything looks good. The plants that I put in there are starting to straighten up and te Cory's are swimming around like mad having a good old time.

I was planning on getting more plants and fish this afternoon if the wife allows it. Will attach some pictures soon.

Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom