Trimming moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheresaM

Aquarium Advice Addict
In the bottom right corner of this photo is a stainless steel shrimp cave covered in moss. It's grown like crazy since I put it in this tank, strands are probably 4-6" long. I'd like to use some of the moss in another tank, is it ok to just trim off whatever I need?

img_3260323_0_6ce2eaa2e8d2de40f90dee80c6e12ac4.jpg

Should be fine. The fragments will continue to grow. In fact this can become a nuisance as some mosses such as Java can establish themselves in places you don't want them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Should be fine. The fragments will continue to grow. In fact this can become a nuisance as some mosses such as Java can establish themselves in places you don't want them.

Great, thanks! I really don't want to end up killing the whole thing....

And yeah, Java moss and I aren't the best of friends, I'm still trying to completely remove it from my Spec V without making a mess of the tank :banghead:

Just don't give it a crew cut or anything.
Moss can be hardy. I had some fissidens attached to a piece of DW and removed nearly all of it before putting the DW an H2O2 bath (for a week...I forgot). Then I threw it under the cabinet for at least a month (dry) until I put it into the QT last week. What do you know, the fissidens is still growing on the DW.
While cleaning the tank today, I found a whole network of Java under the star repens. Argh!!!

Just don't give it a crew cut or anything.
Moss can be hardy. I had some fissidens attached to a piece of DW and removed nearly all of it before putting the DW an H2O2 bath (for a week...I forgot). Then I threw it under the cabinet for at least a month (dry) until I put it into the QT last week. What do you know, the fissidens is still growing on the DW.
While cleaning the tank today, I found a whole network of Java under the star repens. Argh!!!

When you sent me plants I saved about 5 threads of Java miss that had come along for the ride ... It's now the size of a softball!! I did put it in a tank I wasn't intent on controlling ... Lol.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I've actually read and experienced with Java miss, if you trim it, it encourages new growth. I noticed this when I got some started on a piece of driftwood and it would grow long strands off the wood. When I started trimming them more, it spread up the wood more than growing out. In my tanks though it either thrives or dies depending on the tank.

Tank looks good Theresa. That moss should be fine I bleach dipped dw that had the tiniest pieces of moss on it. I had trimmed most of it before. The moss is still growing 6 months later, although it is Java.... Been experimenting with peacock lately.

I've actually read and experienced with Java miss, if you trim it, it encourages new growth. I noticed this when I got some started on a piece of driftwood and it would grow long strands off the wood. When I started trimming them more, it spread up the wood more than growing out. In my tanks though it either thrives or dies depending on the tank.

That's certainly interesting and definitely makes sense!

Tank looks good Theresa. That moss should be fine I bleach dipped dw that had the tiniest pieces of moss on it. I had trimmed most of it before. The moss is still growing 6 months later, although it is Java.... Been experimenting with peacock lately.

Thanks!

I trimmed just enough to cover the top of a 3" piece of cholla wood.

Haven't tried peacock, very much like both flame and xmas tree though!

Back
Top Bottom