Trip to my LFS got pretty exciting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jon Ala

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I went to my lfs just to look around and see what they had in stock..then I stumbled upon this massive Redtail catfish. It was in a huge tank with a couple of 6-8" oscars, and a massive pleco. I also placed my order for 18 new Africans!

Attachments

• image-3773931532.jpg
    image-3773931532.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 120
  • image-3002837068.jpg
    image-3002837068.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 113
  • image-2401683093.jpg
    image-2401683093.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 118
Beautiful RTC... One of these days I hope to have a tank/pond big enough for one.

That's still a baby. LOL One of my old suppliers had a pair of RTCs in one of his ponds that weighed about 50-60 lbs each. He used a hydrophone once and recorded their grunting and you'd think a grunting pig was under there they were so loud. :D Make sure you get a really big tank if you are going to keep one for a long time. (y)

What is minimum tank size for a RTC?

Chances are you will never have a tank large enough to house a fully grown RTC in your home so if you intend on having one, you need to be prepared to constantly rehome it/ them to larger tanks. Best suggestion is to get the largest tank you plan on having so that you don't have to keep upgrading. Once the fish outgrows THAT tank, it's time to find someone or some place with a much larger setup to rehome it/them too. There's not much you can do about it. They are just one huge (pretty ;)) catfish. :D

I saw a bunch at the Audobon Aquarium this weekend! So pretty and so huge! They were in with a bunch of black pacus. I would love to have a massive tank for monster fish like that.

RTC can grow longer than you are tall. So if you ever wonder if you have enough room for one, crawl in your tank and see if it's big enough for you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom