tropheus Qs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlid_tank619

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am going to have a spare 55 gallon here soon. I really really have an interest in tropheus and can get them from a friend for next to nothing. Just want to know what the main knowledge for keeping them.

Water temp? Male to female ratio? Tank decor?
Tank is standard 48"x12" 55 gallon

Tropheus need to be kept in a fairly large group.Id say 12+ with a 1:3 or even 1:4 M/F ratio.
They are very Conspecific aggressive and small groups of them can often end up with just one fish.So a decent group gives the weaker fish somewhere to hide in the group.
They are stunning fish with yellow,Red,blue and white striped fish along with some solid couplers as well.
A 55 should be just about enough.A 75 would be better.
Good luck with your fish.Enjoy :)

Tropheus need to be kept in a fairly large group.Id say 12+ with a 1:3 or even 1:4 M/F ratio.
They are very Conspecific aggressive and small groups of them can often end up with just one fish.So a decent group gives the weaker fish somewhere to hide in the group.
They are stunning fish with yellow,Red,blue and white striped fish along with some solid couplers as well.
A 55 should be just about enough.A 75 would be better.
Good luck with your fish.Enjoy :)

Guess I won't do it. Do you think a group of 4 (1m:3f) would be ok in my 100 gallon with tank mates being 5 frontosa, 4 copressses, 1 Calvus and 2 bichardi?

Guess I won't do it. Do you think a group of 4 (1m:3f) would be ok in my 100 gallon with tank mates being 5 frontosa, 4 copressses, 1 Calvus and 2 bichardi?

It's a bit hit and miss really.I doubt the Tropheus would bother the other species you gave but with only 4 it could end up badly.It may work but is it worth the risk?

It's a bit hit and miss really.I doubt the Tropheus would bother the other species you gave but with only 4 it could end up badly.It may work but is it worth the risk?

No worth it. They are fairly active and would most likely spoke my frontosa into hiding. Probably best kept in a species only tank

Back
Top Bottom