Troublesome skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a ProClear Pro 75 wet/dry with a built in skimmer which has a tiny pump injecting high speed water & air into a cylinder.

It is absolutely impossible to get this skimmer to work properly. On a rare occasion it will produce some skimate. However, most of the time the foam either doesn't rise to the top even when the air valve is fully opened or it foams furiously and overflows gallons of bubbles/water in a short period of time which floods the floor. :evil:

Four calls to the company and no "tech" is ever available and promised return calls are never received. This does not appear to be a reliable company and I'm sorry that I bought their product.

QUESTION:

Does anyone know of a quality skimmer that will fit into the available space in this wet/dry. If not; how about a free standing skimmer that can pick-up and discharge in the available space.

Appreciate your advise - this skimmer problem has been troubling me for 2 months. :?

Charlie,

What I have read on this board the skimmer that everyone recomonds is the AquaC Remora/Remora Pro Protein Skimmer, I know that I have had the same problem with my Coralife super 65 skimmer. All though when you call Coralife you can get a hold of a tech but he repeats the same info over and over and it is what is in their manual for trouble shooting. Hope this helps.

Hi Charlie. I have a proclear 150 and the skimmer works well. It does require cleaning every few days and a bit of adjusting after that but, overall, works great. I would close the air valve completely for a few days and then slowly open it a half turn every day until you see skimming.

Thanks lando, I'll give it a try. I cleaned everything good and opened the valve fully and couldn't get a bubble to rise into the cup. Hmmmm

I also looked at the AquaC Urchin but the fit is a bit too tight. It would block the intake from the overfill box. If I had the ProClear 150 tank body It would probably fit fine.

I went through a number of red sea skimmers with terrible results. I recently switced to a remora and it is great. Very simple to set up and use, minimal maintence, works like a charm. I highly recomend these.

Charlie,

I too have the same skimmer running on my tank and as Lando said shut the air off for a couple of days and slowly half-quarter turn a day open it back up. He is also right about cleaning it. I clean mine at least 2 times a week. HTH!!!

Back
Top Bottom