Trying my hand at Freshwater Planted!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe. I've only tried moss under a single T-8. The crypts might work. Depth of the tank big factor. This is a 20g long. Depth from light to substrate is about 10-12". Picked up this fixture at the beginning of 2013 for about $34. It was for my planted tank but the light was too low.

Oh, I see. Yeah mines a 20 high... Were starting to think maybe just a fish only tank. But a simple low light tank sounds way better.

Do any cichlids fit well in this tank? I was thinking no... And can any go with any plants?

Oh, I see. Yeah mines a 20 high... Were starting to think maybe just a fish only tank. But a simple low light tank sounds way better.

Do any cichlids fit well in this tank? I was thinking no... And can any go with any plants?

No a cichlid expert but if you are talking about S American then probably yes. If African the maybe not.

You can definitely do some dwarf cichlids, apistos, Kribs or rams no problem

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Apistos are pretty cool too. My last fw set up was a tanganyikan cichlid tank, real laid back cichlids but not sure how they'd do with plants.

Shameless plug..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1402713339582.jpg
    1402713339582.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 1402713351485.jpg
    1402713351485.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 45
  • 1402713370148.jpg
    1402713370148.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 42
Apistos are pretty cool too. My last fw set up was a tanganyikan cichlid tank, real laid back cichlids but not sure how they'd do with plants.

How big was the tank? I just dug up an old book I had and it shows you different types of tanks you can make... The tanganyikan looked pretty cool.

So, for stocking the tank... Even though I didn't think I would need help here:
1. How many of the dwarf cichlids would fit well in here? I'm thinking that only one pair of either the Rams, Apistos or Kirbs? This is the information I'm getting when I go to read up.

2. I'm going for a South American themed tank, what fish should I use to fill the rest? A school of tetras of some sort?

3. This has to do with lighting, but while visiting a new LFS (new to me) they had the Current USA Satellite and Satellite+... but from what I've seen online, the Satellite+ were way over priced. So, for a low light, low tech set up, would just the normal Satellites work?

Should I get the 18"-24" model, or 24"-36" model?

Yes just a single pair of whichever dwarf cichlid you choose :). For fill in I really like rummynose tetras and then you could get a school of corydoras catfish as well. Sterbai cories are my favorite.

I'd do 6 rummies or 6 cardinals. Neons tend to be pretty poor quality nowadays.

How big was the tank? I just dug up an old book I had and it shows you different types of tanks you can make... The tanganyikan looked pretty cool.

29 standard. I've also kept amazon swords and anubias (pretty sure I spelled that wrong) under a single t8 fixture

Some chichlids are sensitive to water parameters. Might be best to get your tetras first then wait for a few months to let your tank stabilise. Then add the chichlids

Back
Top Bottom