Trying to figure out the right feed ratio ratio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bri66799

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 4 triggers 2 Picasso's one small about 2.5 inches the other about 4-5 inches one clown triggerfish about 5 to 6 inches and one Hawaiian black triggerfish about 6 inches I rotate between Frozen silver sides and frozen krill and occasionally freeze dried krill which they seem to like as a backup I feed them one portion at night everyday it seems to be a substantial portion which takes them a few minutes to finish because they break it up into pieces and all have fairly small mouths so it is equal competition to get the food I usually just feed one type of food per day and rotate it I sometimes throw chopped clams into the mix but I have to go to a store that's far away to get them anyone have an opinion on how I'm feeding them? And I wanted to look into making my own food and freezing it into portions but I'm worried about buying Seafood that has preservatives for humans and it not being listed has anyone done this successfully thank you

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk

Feed as much as they will eat. That's all there is to it. You don't want leftover food that will rot. As for the food selection, you can do better. I feed my puffer, tusk, eel, lion, and angler store bought frozen shrimp, krill, jumbo mysis, store bought mussels and oysters, and store bought squid and scallops. It's not all at the same time but I vary the feedings. When I say store bought, I mean fresh uncooked from the grocery store deli.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How big is the tank? You may have problems as the small trigger gets bigger. They usually don't tolerate others of their own kind unless in a huge tank.
never mind, I see it's a 125.

The main concern with feeding food meant for human consumption is that it has not been sterilized to prevent any parasites being present. You should always assume seafood contains some type of parasite, regardless of where it came from.
We humans either cook the food or simply assume the risk involved.
But the fish are the target for any parasites in any seafood, so the chances of introducing something from grocery seafood is far greater than using food meant for fish.
Seafood meant for fish food go through different sterilization techniques to ensure it is safe.
Seafood meant for humans goes from the ocean to the store.

Back
Top Bottom