trying to get the advantages of saltwater in freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks! Yes I have had assassins before to helpnwith a snail problem. I was actually thinking about letting the other snails establish and then adding the assassins. They would keep the population in check without wiping out then. Plus they are fun to watch eat and will breed with live food.
I am probably gonna skip he clam even though it stinks :(
I also thought about adding some rabbit snails. They should be sae frome the assassins because of their size right?

I am not sure what rabbit snails are sorry. Smart move on skipping the clam. Can't wait to see pics of your tank.

I am not sure what rabbit snails are sorry. Smart move on skipping the clam. Can't wait to see pics of your tank.

Im gonna try to set it up this weekend! Ive been on 12 hour shifts all week so yea I got very little done lol
I am still wondering if I am forgeting something tonadd life to the tank though. I got a new to me tank tuesday so I will be moving the livestock to it until the 25 is safe. How long before a dirted tank is safe to add fish?

I would do

School of cherry barbs
Thai micro crabs
Rcs (might get eaten but worth a shot)
Ghost shrimp
Honey comb catfish
1x bamboo shrimp
10x Assassin snails
3 x Bumble bee gobies
6x kuhli loaches

Honeycomb catfish are ADORABLE, but are the most timid catfish I have ever seen. I have one in my 20 gallon long that I have tried in a variety of settings with lots of peaceful tankmates and have never managed to coax her out of her hiding spot other than once in a blue moon when she's not able to snag enough food in the shadows. I honestly thought she was dead for about 6 months until I rediscovered her during a tank re-arrange. I really don't recommend them, which is a shame because they're so funny to watch swim on the rare occasions mine comes out.

Substrate-wise, I'd recommend sand due to the MTS, shrimp, and Kuhli loaches if you go with them. MTS like to burrow around through the substrate, as do loaches, while the shrimp have an easier time keeping the bottom clean since the food won't sink through and out of their reach like it would if you used gravel.

Another potential tankmate you could think about would be the Mexican Dwarf Crayfish. I just found out about them recently when planning my shrimp tank, and they're quite fun. They stay small, won't bother anyone else, and come in an eye catching bright orange. People keep them with RCS and the shrimp often will ride around on the crayfish's back :)

Edit: Almost forgot! Check out "Fissidens Fontanus" for a nice short green plant for covering the caves. It's MUCH prettier than Java Moss as it has a sort of "fern" pattern to it's leaves. You should be able to find it on Aquabid.com pretty easily. Stick to the US sellers for the best results :)

Honeycomb catfish are ADORABLE, but are the most timid catfish I have ever seen. I have one in my 20 gallon long that I have tried in a variety of settings with lots of peaceful tankmates and have never managed to coax her out of her hiding spot other than once in a blue moon when she's not able to snag enough food in the shadows. I honestly thought she was dead for about 6 months until I rediscovered her during a tank re-arrange. I really don't recommend them, which is a shame because they're so funny to watch swim on the rare occasions mine comes out.

Substrate-wise, I'd recommend sand due to the MTS, shrimp, and Kuhli loaches if you go with them. MTS like to burrow around through the substrate, as do loaches, while the shrimp have an easier time keeping the bottom clean since the food won't sink through and out of their reach like it would if you used gravel.

Another potential tankmate you could think about would be the Mexican Dwarf Crayfish. I just found out about them recently when planning my shrimp tank, and they're quite fun. They stay small, won't bother anyone else, and come in an eye catching bright orange. People keep them with RCS and the shrimp often will ride around on the crayfish's back :)

Edit: Almost forgot! Check out "Fissidens Fontanus" for a nice short green plant for covering the caves. It's MUCH prettier than Java Moss as it has a sort of "fern" pattern to it's leaves. You should be able to find it on Aquabid.com pretty easily. Stick to the US sellers for the best results :)

Thanks I will check that plant out! That stocking list was not mine :) I may do kuhli loaches but idk. Last time all they did was hide :| also for substrate I am using dirt capped with gravel and floramax mix.
Planned stocking atm is:
Cpo (mexican dwarf cray)
Rcs
Scarlet badis
Thai micro crabs
Snails
Probably otocinclus
And maybe 1 other kind of fish. Somebody said bumble bee gobies but I would need info such as how to determine if they are fw or bw and will they eat the inverts.

Yes, Bumble Bee Gobies are brackish. They start off freshwater, but require brackish once they mature or else they're very prone to disease and lateral line erosion type crap.

You may want to think of an upper level dither fish of sorts to get the Badis to feel braver. Threadfin Rainbows are my favorites for this purpose personally, but there are lots of options out there. The Threadfins have really cool colors and fin flicking behaviors once full grown and have way too small of mouths to bother any of the other inhabitants :)

Yes, Bumble Bee Gobies are brackish. They start off freshwater, but require brackish once they mature or else they're very prone to disease and lateral line erosion type crap.

You may want to think of an upper level dither fish of sorts to get the Badis to feel braver. Threadfin Rainbows are my favorites for this purpose personally, but there are lots of options out there. The Threadfins have really cool colors and fin flicking behaviors once full grown and have way too small of mouths to bother any of the other inhabitants :)

Cool I will keep those in mind! I am curious to see if this will work like the walstad method theorizes with infrequent water changes and such.
I would also be quiet pleased if my micro crabs and cpos breed! (We all know the rcs will lol)

So I was wondering if herenis any other freshwater crab that may work?

Back
Top Bottom